Electrical needs discussion

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those with aquariums 180gallon + did you do anything different for electrical outlets that your tank runs off of?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 250 gallon, I have 2x 20 amp breakers; which barely covers the 1000w of lights, 1/4hp chiller, and all the accoutrements. They're all on GFCI circuits. I'm not sure what you mean specifically, but the "receptacles" outlets aren't that important; as they break off into 3xEB8 apex power strips. There are a few that aren't on the apex that have their own controllers; but if I were to do it again, I'd run 3 or 4 circuits just because it's easier to separate them. I end up tripping the breaker if I don't spread the load evenly, and it's close to tripping if a bunch of things go on at once.

Oh, and label everything! buy some nice labels and stick them on every receptacle/outlet, every cord, every electrical wire. I even labeled every receptacle to tell me what breaker it was on; has come in phenomenally helpful.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 115g system runs on 2x15Amp circuits, and both have surge suppressor outlets before any equipment.
1 circuit for the sump hardware, and 1 for the DT lights, Vortechs w/battery charger and canopy exhaust. Plus a spare outlet for any in-tank maintenance requiring a pump or such.
Each circuit can handle more than the total required if all were running together.
Each piece of wet hardware has it's own GFCI. I have 9 total just for my DT.

Use some math and add up all your hardware with the total watts required.
Each 15amp circuit can safely and continuously supply 1440watts @120vac with a safety factor of 80%
Each 20amp circuit can safely and continuously supply 1920watts @120vac with a safety factor of 80%

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically had an electrician come out

recomendation was a 15amp gfci outlet

Would assume that should handle what i run my 120 off

going to 180gallon and a dedicated circuit for my tank

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are going to have a new circuit run there is not much price difference to upgrade to a 20 amp circuit

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i agree with the last post up it to a #12 wire and 20 amp circuit, have them put the receptacle away from the tank if possible, and i prefer no gfci recptacles in case it trips on you and leaves your tank off, but thats your call i always feel better with no gfci and the plug on the other wall and hide cords and power/surge protector on the wall in loom/ wire mould

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, you really only need 1 GFCI per circuit, not 1 per device. I'd go with a GFCI/AFCI breaker rather than GFCI outlet (the outlets have a poor reputation for performance/reliability compared with breakers). I'd also agree that going with a 20Amp circuit is well worth the few extra dollars.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What have you decided?
Did you add up all your hardware to find out what your total wattage use is?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think going with GFCI outlets is a better option. You can add multiple gfci outlets to spread your risk out of tripping and shutting everything off.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, you really only need 1 GFCI per circuit, not 1 per device. I'd go with a GFCI/AFCI breaker rather than GFCI outlet (the outlets have a poor reputation for performance/reliability compared with breakers). I'd also agree that going with a 20Amp circuit is well worth the few extra dollars.
I agree with the upped circuit for total load.

I'll argue that my system with a GFCI for each in-water hardware item is not a waste of time or money.
If my heaters blow their circuit, the return pump still runs etc.
Worth it to have each wet hardware unit on it's own GFCI if you have room and can stomach the initial cost.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My electrical panel nightmare

IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3559.JPG

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would run 2 circuits. I always have have some water flow at least spread across 2 circuits. Especially with gfci nuisance tripping is often an issue and ideally if one breaker pops you still have some water flow. Not so much of an issue anymore as most setups dont require a chiller, but if you ever find you need one you are going to wish you had that second circuit.

As for gfci i use several mini gfci powerstrips. So the circuit itself is not protected, but all items i plug in first go to a gfci type power strip. Again this was done after i kept getting some nuisance gfci tripping.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the upped circuit for total load.

I'll argue that my system with a GFCI for each in-water hardware item is not a waste of time or money.
If my heaters blow their circuit, the return pump still runs etc.
Worth it to have each wet hardware unit on it's own GFCI if you have room and can stomach the initial cost.

Out of curiosity, do you have your outlets wired so that if one trips, the downstream outlets don't trip as well? I would imagine that this is possible, I've just never seen it done.

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 60A from my main panel to a LC that house two 20A circuits that feed two gfci receptacles near my tank. I run more receptacles downstream of my gfcis. Tank is a 165g.

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 100g w 40g sump has 1x 20amp GFCI Breaker and use power strips with surge suppression for each device. But more importantly power strips are wifi so if anything loses power or has wattage/voltage irregularities I get a push notification. (Kasa strips integrated into home automation Control4).

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a sub panel the previous owners installed that was mostly empty, I ran 2 20A circuits for the tank, 1 for QT, and 1 for mixing station/ancillary uses. Having the tank in an unfinished room, and a drop ceiling made this all very easy, tho.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, do you have your outlets wired so that if one trips, the downstream outlets don't trip as well? I would imagine that this is possible, I've just never seen it done.

I have a mix. In my aquarium area I have four 4x4 boxes in each box there is a GFCI and a standard outlet. The second box is hooked to the lineside at the first GFCI. I have two separate circuits so then I mirror that on the second circuit.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think what you're looking for is a pigtail for each circuit. If you don't daisy chain the receptacles then each receptacle gets like a home run. It's a lot more work, but that's how I did my whole house, makes troubleshooting receptacles much easier. But you can run into box fill issues that way which isn't to code.

Normally a gfci has all the receptacles downstream daisy chained. If you use pigtails you'd lose the protection, but then you can use individual gfcis like greg did.

Greg's set up is the gold standard and I wish I had seen that before I wired mine up!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you're looking for is a pigtail for each circuit. If you don't daisy chain the receptacles then each receptacle gets like a home run. It's a lot more work, but that's how I did my whole house, makes troubleshooting receptacles much easier. But you can run into box fill issues that way which isn't to code.

Normally a gfci has all the receptacles downstream daisy chained. If you use pigtails you'd lose the protection, but then you can use individual gfcis like greg did.

Greg's set up is the gold standard and I wish I had seen that before I wired mine up!

Yeah that's how I was thinking I would do it. I think the assumption tends to be when you see someone saying they have multiple GFCIs on a single circuit is that they don't understand how they work. The way Greg did it is pretty unusual, but makes it worth it for sure. And a gfci outlet isn't much pricier than a regular outlet. Got me thinking some ideas now if I ever get a bigger tank and need that many outlets!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back