Electrical problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter mlabadie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mlabadie

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2015
Messages
40
Reaction score
6
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came home from work and found my filter light heater and my power were off. I then found my surge protector was burned.. My heater was melted the most but I'm worried it might happen again . any advice?

IMG_20151229_164712075.jpg
 
Today I came home from work and found my filter light heater and my power were off. I then found my surge protector was burned.. My heater was melted the most but I'm worried it might happen again . any advice?

IMG_20151229_164712075.jpg
Plug your power strip into the GFCI
 
Ground fault circut interupter.
OK thanks. I'm using a newer surge protector for now but this week I will look into that. I think maybe saltwater came down and did it. My heater was the most burnt.
 
Make sure your cables are all plugged into an outlet that looks like this.
image.jpeg

That's a GFCI outlet. If you don't have any of these outlets in your home an electrician can come install them easily or you can purchase a surge protector with them built in.

Also make sure all of your cables have a drip loop in them so that water cannot run down the cable and into the outlet.
image.jpeg

Hope this helps.
 
Make sure your cables are all plugged into an outlet that looks like this.
image.jpeg

That's a GFCI outlet. If you don't have any of these outlets in your home an electrician can come install them easily or you can purchase a surge protector with them built in.

Also make sure all of your cables have a drip loop in them so that water cannot run down the cable and into the outlet.
image.jpeg

Hope this helps.
I always put the power strip above the tank
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new