Electrical tape vs tank water

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm customizing my lockline returns. I can't find the black pvc fittings I need that match the black lines. I don't want to use paint but I was thinking of wrapping the fitting in black electrical tape. Does anyone have any opinions or know if this would be safe for the tank?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how it will hold up to saltwater, but it works great on cuts and stopping the bleeding. An electricians 1st aid kit staple, slap a band aid and then black tape to hold it in place till it stops.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great many of us have been using krylon fusion over the years, works pretty well if you just scuff PVC w/ 220 first, make sure clean and dry before spraying.
I'd much rather do this than any type of tape glue

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm customizing my lockline returns. I can't find the black pvc fittings I need that match the black lines. I don't want to use paint but I was thinking of wrapping the fitting in black electrical tape. Does anyone have any opinions or know if this would be safe for the tank?
I did to 7" of pvc pipe. If done right. Looks great

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great many of us have been using krylon fusion over the years, works pretty well if you just scuff PVC w/ 220 first, make sure clean and dry before spraying.

I agree this is a better idea both for safety reasons and because it's more likely to last longer.

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wipe the pvc with pvc primer first, the paint will stick really well. Used this trick to paint a lot of PVC pipe in hostile environments - look like new 5 years later. I would agree that the tape glue would be an unknown - chew on a piece for a while and you'll know why ;Yuck

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an electrician I use electrical tape on everything. It is also fine in a tank. I use it in my tank and as a band aid. Great stuff. But if you are interested in using it for other things, don't use the black tape. Use any other color because the black tape leaves a goey residue sometimes and the other colors don't. It comes in about 30 colors.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about black shrink wrap?

You could slip an appropriately sized pieces on before you put everything together and then carefully shrink them with a heat gun. No glue to worry about. I’m not sure of their chemical composition however, hopefully someone knowledgeable will comment.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrink wrap is great in a tank. I use it all the time.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not. Even in dry locations old electrical tape winds up being slimy and gross.

The fittings will become encrusted with coraline anyway right?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back