electricity in tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem, after doing maintenance on my fish tank I feel an electric current put my hand in like a tickling but a little strong, then I start to turn off all the equipment one by one to find the one responsible and I see that with all of them turned off it remains the same the electric current, even the sump flow stopped with the tank and it remains the same with everything turned off, I don't know what that is due to...

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a problem, after doing maintenance on my fish tank I feel an electric current put my hand in like a tickling but a little strong, then I start to turn off all the equipment one by one to find the one responsible and I see that with all of them turned off it remains the same the electric current, even the sump flow stopped with the tank and it remains the same with everything turned off, I don't know what that is due to...
Turn off or unplugged ? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Stray voltage while seldom will send a tinging effect when your hands touch the water as you are grounded and fish and coral are not. Often stray voltage is blamed for fish death and is often not the case as is HLLE. When you feel that zapping/tingly effect, you want to start with pumps- unplug all of them and plug one in at a time until you feel it - that last component is likely your culprit.
Often what leaks through insulation and housing are return pumps, powerheads and heaters, and often a pump housing or heater develop a crack or a seal leaks and there is energized copper touching the water. Although this is an alternative and not a solution- Always use a ground probe in your tank or sump

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back