Just got shocked sticking my hand in the tank. Static or something else?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says, just got lightly shocked when sticking my hand in the water. I obviously immediately withdrew my hand, but put it back in to test. No more shocks, so just went about my tank business.

Could this be static electricity or a piece of equipment? If it were equipment, wouldn't it shock me continually or periodically?

Sorry for my ignorance. I slept through whatever class teaches you about all this type of life stuff :)

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says, just got lightly shocked when sticking my hand in the water. I obviously immediately withdrew my hand, but put it back in to test. No more shocks, so just went about my tank business.

Could this be static electricity or a piece of equipment? If it were equipment, wouldn't it shock me continually or periodically?

Sorry for my ignorance. I slept through whatever class teaches you about all this type of life stuff :)
Do you have a contact tester for electric circuits? I had a short in my power head and it shocked me. I put the contact tester near the tank it went off.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a contact tester for electric circuits? I had a short in my power head and it shocked me. I put the contact tester near the tank it went off.
I do not. At least not that I know of. Is this an expensive piece of equipment?

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 24

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your heater. I had one that was going bad in my sump. Wasn't a bad shock but it was more then salt in a cut hurt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

This will be a process of elimination. Often culprits are Magnetic driven components such as Power heads, return pumps and heater
using the electrical tester unplug Powerhead and see if there is a current drop in the water. If not plug back in and unplug the next powerhead. If not, turn off return pump and again check and so forth.
As a temporary measure, you can add a grounding probe which is a safeguard and NOT a solution

Grounding probe:

1709162071788.png
1709162101908.png

Last edited:

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

depends where your other hand is, if its grounded or not. i had a bad heater, no problem with hands in tank but when my shirtless shoulder touched the light, ouch. first time thought i got burnt then i realized what it was.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your pumps ac or dc?
DC. MightyJets x 2. Powerhead is a Maxspect xf330 gyre. Heater is a Helio. Also have an Inkbird set to 2 degrees above and below the Helio in case the helio breaks with a Finnex attached to it and a set of USB fans. Those are the only electrical devices currently touching water in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
DC. MightyJets x 2. Powerhead is a Maxspect xf330 gyre. Heater is a Helio. Also have an Inkbird set to 2 degrees above and below the Helio in case the helio breaks with a Finnex attached to it and a set of USB fans. Those are the only electrical devices currently touching water in the tank.
Mighty jets are my first suspects and years ago were frequent culprits of this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back