Electricity & Copper in a Reef

  • Thread starter Thread starter Subsea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Subsea

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2018
Messages
9,585
Reaction score
12,439
Location
Austin, Tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In swimming pool maintenance, electrical devices are used to transfer copper into water treated. However, I got a double dose of contamination into 5yr mature mixed garden, when power cord pulled out of epoxied MaxiJet powerhead which supplied reverse flow into plenum under 2” aragonite substrate. This happened while away for 2 weeks. No fish were lost, but every urchin and 100% of rock anemones & BTA are gone. I added an extra air pump and much utilitarian Caulerpa Prolifera was brought in to absorb organics & heavy metals, performed two 50G water changes and running activated carbon thru additional Aquaclear 110 HOB. I am also circulating water between 5yr mature 120G display and 25yr mature 75G display

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wet-salty-for-christmas-2017.428100/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...m-on-top-with-30g-ecosystem-mud-macro.421526/
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
 
Yes, electricity flowing out of a copper wire will release copper massively faster than the same copper wire just sitting there.

when electrons are flowing out of the wire, this reaction can take place to release them into the water:

Cu —> Cu++ + 2e-

electrolysis of seawater can also produce chlorine from chloride when electrons are flowing out of the wire:

2Cl- —> Cl2 + 2e-
 
Last edited:
I would run some cuprisorb.
As of yet, I have not measured for cooper. Indirectly, I found out just how efficient macro algae absorbs copper & zinc when I grew Gracilaria Parvispora as an ediable seaweed for sale to Asian restaurants. When I sent seaweed off for dry analysis, I was shocked to see 7ppm of Copper when none was detected in makeup water (detection limit was .01 ppm).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new