Taming Caulerpa in Caribbean Mixed Garden Lagoon

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual 55G tanks were set up two years ago to process 200 lbs of live rock and 50 lbs of live sand that was diver collected in 30’ of water 30 miles west of Tampa Bay. After curating the rock, selected rocks went into two established display tanks: 75G set up for 25 years and 120G set up for 5 years.

Bottom 55G was brought back into operation 3 months ago. It is being operated as a medium light mixed garden lagoon to process curated live rock to sell thru LFS.

On this Easter, TOP 55G display has been maintained for 2 years. Reverse flow into plenum up thru 2” of aroggonite substrate is the heart of biochemistry in this system. I consider plenum void as a cryptic zone and with substrate seeded with 50 lbs of diver collected live sand full of micro fauna & fana that process organic (detritus) & inorganic (N & P) nutrients to feed hungry mouths live food via the microbial loop. A cannister filter is being used as a high flow cryptic refugium and has not been opened in 2 years. Two AquaClear HOB filters are being used as algae/pods zooplankton refugiums.

Low light is how I control fast growing Caulerpa Prolifera. I also dose 10ml of ammonia twice a day when phosyntgesis is highest, My focus on this Caribbean lagoon is to grow abundant Bortacladia which is collected by divers in 30’-130’.

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• 70100843472__228FC8A7-0E60-4C6C-B602-53D0E55798F0.MOV
    7.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual stand was moved 1 month ago. Bottom 55G tank was moved outdoors 6 weeks ago. Top 55G was completely drained with substrate lightly RIPPED clean:

It’s 5:15am CT and the temperature just went < 30 degrees. We are seeing our first Arctic cold front of the season and we will not see 30 degrees again for 48 hours.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sargassum is so cool
I have tried it numerous times with little success. It’s needs more light than everything else in the tank. For this try I will I increase intensity by 50%. I like 10K color spectrum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 20

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only place I've see it growing is off of Elliot Key near Miami in 3 foot of water on hard bottom areas of sponges and seagrass. It looks like a mini Kelp forest

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only place I've see it growing is off of Elliot Key near Miami in 3 foot of water on hard bottom areas of sponges and seagrass. It looks like a mini Kelp forest
I once snorkeled in Grand Cayman and can only imagine the freedom of scuba. Do you take pictures?8

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back