electricity in water

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried changing my filter socks this morning and felt a ton of electricity in my arm and it went numb for a bit.
i read that electricity in the water wont harm the fish, but my main concern is my maintenance, so if i close all the electricity for the tank will it make the electricity in the water go or will the tank still have electricity even after the power is closed, i checked throught the outside cables no wire has been cut, but i need to check if the return pump or skimmers wire was cut casusing electricity to flow through the water, but in order for me to do that i need to dig my hand in the water is there anyway for me to do that , should i close the power and do that?

hotbiscuits84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to need a multimeter for it.

Set multimeter to 120v AC, black probe to ground of wall outlet or screw, and red probe in tank. Plug one piece equipment of equipment into the tank till you find the offender.

FrostedCupcake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue last month and I bought a voltmeter to test what component was wrong. Simply try to touch one end on the ground, another end into the water, then unplug one thing at a time (heater/skimmer/powerhead, etc), once the voltmeter turns to 0, you found the problematic component.

I also got a Reset GFCI Extension Cord to make sure if anything similar issue happens in the future, it would protect me.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not check to ground always neutral. There is another thread about the same issue. I also have experienced it. To answer your question if the power is off there should be no voltage present. You will have to unplug each piece of equipment one at a time . If you have a multimeter one end in water the other to the neutral in the wall. If you don't there are cheap ones you can buy. If you are not comfortable then don't take a chance. Get a professional. Its your life. A test light would work as well but stay safe. A GFI will not trip again a GFI will not trip. No offense but it seems to me you should not play around yourself

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried changing my filter socks this morning and felt a ton of electricity in my arm and it went numb for a bit.
i read that electricity in the water wont harm the fish, but my main concern is my maintenance, so if i close all the electricity for the tank will it make the electricity in the water go or will the tank still have electricity even after the power is closed, i checked throught the outside cables no wire has been cut, but i need to check if the return pump or skimmers wire was cut casusing electricity to flow through the water, but in order for me to do that i need to dig my hand in the water is there anyway for me to do that , should i close the power and do that?
I'm not sure of the electrical standards in Kuwait, just that you're using 240V AC.

If you disconnect each mains powered submerged device one at a time and check using an AC voltmeter from tank water to a known good earth you should be able to identify the faulty device.

If you're unsure I'd suggest call an electrician or someone you know who understands the local electrical system.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back