Electronic UVC Ballast

Wayoutwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Recently I noticed my 9W Jebao UV ballast had melted its plastic casing. Has any one else had similar experiences and what did you do to make it safer?

Best Regards,

WoW

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had same issue with 55w UV from jebao. my uv is setup over my sump, so if it leaks (in my case, when it leaked), it dont do more damage. It kinda burnt through the junction of the molding. I sanded around the failing point (and the other junction which hasnt failed yet) and I put on a good thick coat of black epoxy. Its been running for 1 year now, and no more issue yet.

OP
OP
W

Wayoutwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had same issue with 55w UV from jebao. my uv is setup over my sump, so if it leaks (in my case, when it leaked), it dont do more damage. It kinda burnt through the junction of the molding. I sanded around the failing point (and the other junction which hasnt failed yet) and I put on a good thick coat of black epoxy. Its been running for 1 year now, and no more issue yet.
I converted mine to an electronic ballast.

I found an article on the Arduino forums where some one was building a UV air steriliser and they had cleverly used the digital ballast of a CFL light to power the bulb.
Source https://forum.arduino.cc/t/uv-lamps-ballast-problem/346699/26?page=2

Turns out the UV bulb has a capacitor installed so you just carefully dismantle the CFL bulb and remove the digital ballast. Connect the UV bulb to the voltage points (2 of 4 without the capacitors) and no more clunky ballast and most importantly very little heat. Probably runs a bit more stable too.

Will take some pictures

Last edited:
Back