Elegance coral, growth rate?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently acquired a beautiful elegance coral that has been in a private tank for two years. Currently it is the size of a soft ball. I searched online, but cannot seem to find a growth rate for these guys. I have found individuals that state "it has doubled in size since I got it", but don't state when they got it :p. From what I am reading, it seems like these guys may be fast growers.

I am debating moving it to a spot with no other corals near by, in case there is exponential growth.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to see the answers as well. This is one of my favorite corals and I am looking forward to getting one some day.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently acquired a beautiful elegance coral that has been in a private tank for two years. Currently it is the size of a soft ball. I searched online, but cannot seem to find a growth rate for these guys. I have found individuals that state "it has doubled in size since I got it", but don't state when they got it :p. From what I am reading, it seems like these guys may be fast growers.

I am debating moving it to a spot with no other corals near by, in case there is exponential growth.

I can give some personal experience. I acquired mine back 6 years ago. The mother colony has grown quite a bit. I would say at least 3-4 inches more. Yeah that's it. BUT my Elegance is growing outward laying down new skeleton which are more like individual frags. Each of these has been splitting off the main mother colony at some point. I pretty much have the mother colony and 5 frags (at one point I had more but gave a few away). I think my Elegance has been putting most of it's energy fragging itself then actually growing tbh.

First Image is back in 2012. It was in a 30 gallon 2 foot tank.

Second Image was back in 2015. It was in 90 gallon 4 foot tank.

DSCN1213.JPG

IMG_20151122_161241.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Syed, how long would you estimate it took for the mother colony to start producing buds? I did read in another thread about this behavior being linked to stress. Any signs of stress on the coral before it started producing buds?

BTW your elegance is a beaut

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It produces new buds every few months. They split off randomly after that. Don't think the coral has ever been stressed. It just likes to make new frags. My guess is that it has a surplus of energy to make new buds and the environment in the tank is suitable for this.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nice one back in the 80’s.. it was in my tank for over ten years and grew from about 3” to over 8”, my lighting was less than ideal in terms of par but quality of the lighting was the best available in fluorescent tubes at the time I was running 80/20 blue and white lighting using Philips O3’s mixed with HO daylight bulbs.

69EAF52A-E287-4A97-819F-9383FBDC86D6.png

OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nice one back in the 80’s.. it was in my tank for over ten years and grew from about 3” to over 8”, my lighting was less than ideal in terms of par but quality of the lighting was the best available in fluorescent tubes at the time I was running 80/20 blue and white lighting using Philips O3’s mixed with HO daylight bulbs.

Did it ever produce buds that split off? The magenta striations are stunning.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never budded probably didn’t receive enough energy from the lighting I was using at the time.

OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have experience of budding?

For how beautiful these corals are, not sure why they are so relatively inexpensive. My LFS sells a 5" fully extended elegance for $40-50.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have experience of budding?

For how beautiful these corals are, not sure why they are so relatively inexpensive. My LFS sells a 5" fully extended elegance for $40-50.

Maybe they are cheap cause they have a high mortality rate? I mean the current livestock of Indo Elegance have a high death rate. Australian Elegances have a better chance at survival but they they can be hit or miss. I tried an Australian and it died while my current Elegance is still thriving. Both were in the same tank too.

Ask the LFS where their Elegance are sourced from. Avoid Indonesian ones.

OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed after feeding the elegance expands quite a bit. Can't tell if mine is happy the other times though. Impressive how much it can shrink up. I have raised my alk recently and think that may have annoyed some of the coral. Anyone else have experience with these guys budding?

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with budding, but in the time I've had mine (about a month) it has definitely gotten larger. It started with one mouth, but grew and developed another mouth with a third still forming. The tank is fed mysis daily and it likely can snag at least one a day, so that may be a contributing factor.

@Syed123 I really love the tank shot you posted with the pyramid butterfly fish.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with budding, but in the time I've had mine (about a month) it has definitely gotten larger. It started with one mouth, but grew and developed another mouth with a third still forming. The tank is fed mysis daily and it likely can snag at least one a day, so that may be a contributing factor.

@Syed123 I really love the tank shot you posted with the pyramid butterfly fish.

Yeah the pyramid butterfly's are pretty neat. Only butterfly species I would ever put and risk in a reef. Used to harrass my Elegance and rip its tenticles off. Only coral they have ever bothered. Dunno why. They randomly stopped a few months ago which was a relief for the elegance and improved their look.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep the mother colony is conical shaped. The daughters are smooth bottomed. Once they start gaining new heads they become more rectangular shaped.
Whenever it is convenient do you mind posting pics?

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MVIMG_20180704_201824.jpg

Here are some pics of the mother colony and the daughter colonies. If you notice on the far left, the smallest one is slightly bleached due to being buried by one of my fish. That is the newest bud.

OP
OP
H

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Syed that is very impressive. When another daughter begins to bud please regularly update with pictures so we can see progress.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back