Elegance coral help

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers. So thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone has or had a similar issue.

So I purchased an elegance about 6 weeks ago now. Rather little. About 3.5" across. For the first week it was open beautifully to about 3 times its size.

It since closed up and for the life of me I can't figure out why. It still has all its flesh. Not excreted any brown or white slim. Just looks as it does when the lights go out [emoji848]. Some acans and a lobo have also receded a little.

I've taken the best pic I can so you can see.

So a bit of tank background.

21g nano reef. 5 months old. Dry rock live sand. Seachem matrix media, carbon as needed and gfo as needed.

Had gha for 4 weeks now and started dosing nopox 3 weeks ago roughly at half the stated dose which has since been increased to recommend dose.

Also dosing redsea Ca/alk. Which I have just stopped in fact as the levels have stabalisedd out with the weekly wc.

Live stock: is about 14 small corals. All LPS and 1 sps frag. 2 anthias and 1 dottyback. 1 hermit and 1 snail and a few shrimps.

Maintenance: is weekly 5g wc with instant ocean and manual gha removal. I use full length reef gloves so no hands in tank.

System: Nano skimmer running which is full every 3 days. ATO in use, Jebao sw2 wave maker. Lighting is maxspect r420r single unit set at following.

10am W/5% B/20%
11am W/10 B/70
12-1900 W/10% B/70%
1900-2000 W/5% B/15%

Params:
No3 8-10ppm
Po4 0.25 (working on this with gfo)
PH 8.0 to 8.15 over 24hrs
Temp 26/27
Ca 500
Alk 9.6
Mg 1800 [emoji848]

I've tried the following.
Moved coral to shaded area, reduced flow, direct feeding reef roids, lower and higher lighting, coral dip twice. (all the above were tried for at least 1 week at a time.

So I'm. At a loss and I expected this coral to be gone by now. But he's still here lol. So any suggestions will be much appreciated.

20190615_121551.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to know if it is an Indo or an Aussie elegance?

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to know if it is an Indo or an Aussie elegance?
Hi. I'm told its an aussie one. But to be honest most of what the LFS here tells you is to be taken with a pinch of salt [emoji849]

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to read if you haven't already...
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/eb/index.php
Hey P-dub thank you for this. The video I have seen on my tour of research but the paper I hadn't. Very in depth read and some interesting experimental results.
Thank you for this. [emoji106].

It would seem like the best chances of keeping an elegance coral now a days is to know what to look for when picking one.

I don't see any damage on mine or anything unusual around the flesh yet but it has been a few weeks. I'll keep this post updated with its progress or demise.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey P-dub thank you for this. The video I have seen on my tour of research but the paper I hadn't. Very in depth read and some interesting experimental results.
Thank you for this. [emoji106].

It would seem like the best chances of keeping an elegance coral now a days is to know what to look for when picking one.

I don't see any damage on mine or anything unusual around the flesh yet but it has been a few weeks. I'll keep this post updated with its progress or demise.
Be interesting to see how she fars.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be interesting to see how she fars.
Tried to feed her with reef roids yesterday as I could see all 3 mouths just about. Unsure if she actually took any but no change in appearance yet [emoji53]

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back