Elegance coral is devouring 6" bristle worm!

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to catch this 6" bristle worm in my tank for the past 2 months and he is very evasive. As I have tried many nights, I watched him slowly emerge from a rock last night and waited 15 mins to try to grab him with tongs while using a flashlight. My wife yelled at me to go to sleep already so I gave up.

I woke up this morning to find that my elegance coral had CAUGHT HIM AND WAS DEVOURING HIM! And almost done as well! I was wondering if it's dangerous for the elegance to eat him with his toxins or not. But I decided it would be more injurious to the elegance if I tried to pull/retract the prey from its mouth. Plus the meal looks like it's essentially almost over anyway.

I was growing to despise this coral because she kills a trochus snail about once or twice a week on average. Then she goes and does this...and TOTALLY REDEEMS HERSELF.

Please enjoy the photos below.

MOTHER NATURE IS SO METAL.

DSC06078.jpg

DSC06079.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not dangerous but didn't think they were capable of. I have a monster elegance' and it has had food land on it and just sits there.

OP
OP
hankacrank

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elegance coral expelled a ton of brown waste today after finishing consumption of the bristle worm yesterday. It was enough waste that my other corals started closing and I got worried and did a 25% water change...

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT?!? very jealous my elegance coral is no help against my bristle worms, sometimes I see one come out of the rock right by it, and by elegance coral closes up so the bristle worm has more room to move around. Man when I get home tonight I'm going to show it this picture so it has something to aspire too.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great! You should. My Rhomboid broke it’s spine one day sadly and was unable to really swim. He passed and the Trachy got him first. A little ahead of it’s skis size wise so I removed it from it’s mouth. Loved the effort though!

MarkaRagnos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to catch this 6" bristle worm in my tank for the past 2 months and he is very evasive. As I have tried many nights, I watched him slowly emerge from a rock last night and waited 15 mins to try to grab him with tongs while using a flashlight. My wife yelled at me to go to sleep already so I gave up.

I woke up this morning to find that my elegance coral had CAUGHT HIM AND WAS DEVOURING HIM! And almost done as well! I was wondering if it's dangerous for the elegance to eat him with his toxins or not. But I decided it would be more injurious to the elegance if I tried to pull/retract the prey from its mouth. Plus the meal looks like it's essentially almost over anyway.

I was growing to despise this coral because she kills a trochus snail about once or twice a week on average. Then she goes and does this...and TOTALLY REDEEMS HERSELF.

Please enjoy the photos below.

MOTHER NATURE IS SO METAL.

DSC06078.jpg

DSC06079.jpg
Dude check out what I saw when I came home from lunch that prompted me to look up similar situations as this!! Lol

Attachments

• AB907645-9992-4C5A-875F-252F28D3946F.jpeg
    AB907645-9992-4C5A-875F-252F28D3946F.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 65

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back