Elegance coral not fully open

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I bought a elegance coral about two months ago and for the first month it looked great but by the second month it has stayed smaller and smaller as time progressed and I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong? Parameters are
Alkalinity 9.1
Calcium 400
Magnesium 1,600
Phosphate.10
Nitrates 15
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong first it was in really low light when it started then I moved it to higher lights yesterday and I already see a difference!! It’s in y sand bed with high flow
image.jpg
image.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your problem, at least some of it, is it’s in high flow as you stated above. The high flow is probably causing it to close up. They should be in moderate flow so their polyps are gently waving. Check out Tidal Garden’s flow requirements for this coral. Try moving it to a lower flow are or adjust your flow rate. Give it a day or two.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your problem, at least some of it, is it’s in high flow as you stated above. The high flow is probably causing it to close up. They should be in moderate flow so their polyps are gently waving. Check out Tidal Garden’s flow requirements for this coral. Try moving it to a lower flow are or adjust your flow rate. Give it a day or two.
No luck yet still half closed I gave it so ground up shrimp today so maybe that will help

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need low to moderate flow and semi shaded area with low light. I have mine in a shady area under a rock arch.

Is your phosphate .1 ? And your magnesium is high

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need low to moderate flow and semi shaded area with low light. I have mine in a shady area under a rock arch.

Is your phosphate 1.0 ?
Well i had it in a shade are when it started to close and it got worse now that it’s in more light and less flow it seems to be gaining it’s stickyness back for sure but it’s still really small.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i had it in a shade are when it started to close and it got worse now that it’s in more light and less flow it seems to be gaining it’s stickyness back for sure but it’s still really small.
Mine gets half shade and light maybe 75 par

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E5A55982-6DF3-414F-8BC1-246BF49C9657.jpeg

No difference I’ve tried moving him then give it less flow then more flow. I’m just not sure. What do they like to eat the most? I’ll try to feed him again. He was doing great for a month and now he’s looking terrible!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back