Elegance coral peeled Randomly

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing all parameters now, for salinty, temp, Alk, ca, mag I have those on apex and no changes all constant. Going to test nitrates phosphate and ammonia. Everything else is going fine and and has been fine. Its flesh is sitting on the opposite side of my tank, and it hasn’t been closed or anything! Is it possible that it’ll some how attach to the rock and grow or no? SOO FRUSTRATING
IMG_3513.jpeg
IMG_3512.jpeg
IMG_3510.jpeg

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested all parameters and all are right in line with where they have been. This is so strange and after searching finding it happening to others but most others elegances hadn’t been doing good then peeled. Such a strange case maybe just one of the corals I can’t keep.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thos seems to be to much flow or injury issue. As other than peeling off thee skeleton, it looks happy as far as I can tell and didnt like placement. If it was water issue, it would be inflaated or sunk in and detracted, tips would be stubby and with drawn.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thos seems to be to much flow or injury issue. As other than peeling off thee skeleton, it looks happy as far as I can tell and didnt like placement. If it was water issue, it would be inflaated or sunk in and detracted, tips would be stubby and with drawn.
I have had it for 2-3 months and its always been happy.. and as for placement its been there for the 2-3 months no change in flow or lighting, that's why I am so darn stumped. It is also sitting in a little breeder box at the top of my tank all inflated as it would be on the skeleton. SO STRANGE.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, I don’t have any knowledge so I would connect it to polyp bail out in hammers. I don’t see a high chance of this surviving but good luck

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, I don’t have any knowledge so I would connect it to polyp bail out in hammers. I don’t see a high chance of this surviving but good luck
Thats what im refering to, I have had it happen with torches during the start of my tank and I lost them, but I had a reason behind it, this one I don't have a clue with stinks.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uncommon for this coral.
Great for some months, then “poof” when everything else happy.
Regrow?
Doubt it, it bailed for some reason.
Doesn’t like long term captivity it seems.

That being said, some claim elegances years old.

For many others, gone in short term.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uncommon for this coral.
Great for some months, then “poof” when everything else happy.
Regrow?
Doubt it, it bailed for some reason.
Doesn’t like long term captivity it seems.

That being said, some claim elegances years old.

For many others, gone in short term.
So just a risk you run with this type of coral?

Gweezpie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will not come back. Too much flow or light, disease, fish damage,.like clowns hosting it. So yes, there is a risk with certain elegance. Try again and maybe with a larger colony.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's highly unlikely, but there is a chance it will recover. Don't try to reattach it to its old skeleton, if it survives for long enough it will start to regrow a skeletal structure

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this a cut frag? Looking at the skeleton seems it was fragged. Wondering if it was damages then and was just waiting for something simple to happen to let go. I have kept elegances for years. I had to give a few away due to space issues. Never had this happen. Check the skeleton and coral for gull crabs as well. I have had those as well. They are almost impossible to spot

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this a cut frag? Looking at the skeleton seems it was fragged. Wondering if it was damages then and was just waiting for something simple to happen to let go. I have kept elegances for years. I had to give a few away due to space issues. Never had this happen. Check the skeleton and coral for gull crabs as well. I have had those as well. They are almost impossible to spot
I defiantly looks frayed I got it from a coral show frag swap thing for a good deal, and maybe that’s why, sucks but I’ll try again. I will have to look up what gull crabs are

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defiantly looks frayed I got it from a coral show frag swap thing for a good deal, and maybe that’s why, sucks but I’ll try again. I will have to look up what gull crabs are
Gall crab* they're a kind of parasitic crab that lives in the tissue/skeleton of LPS corals, they bore holes in the skeleton and feed off of coral mucus which is extremely irritating to the coral and often results in said corals death.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely it is from what ever shredded the coral. Bad fragging. But you would be able to see the gall crab hole in skeleton if it was there. But they arent to common.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to mine recently as well after a couple years with good growth. Elegance corals can just bail sometimes. Chances are it's just going to wither and die. Mine has been in my refugium for over 2 months just sits open on the bottom but has slowly decreased in size. I'm pulling and tossing it this weekend.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a risk you run with this type of coral?
Unfortunately yup!
There are a number of LPS which do great short term, but fizzle out fast in a few months or so.
Another example is the Long Tenticle Plate, about 4-6 months at best.
After many attempts, both these corals I no longer purchase.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back