OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. I just call them sticks.

I find all 7 parameters important. I keep all in the traditional levels, but as you correctly point out, put a HUGE emphasis on stability. The less they vary the better.

So, pick your Alk 8-12dkh, maybe mimic your salt mix, and work towards keeping this parameter, absolutely pinned regardless of measurement time. I find Alk, like salinity, very influential on overall chemistry.

You’ll also need to make sure everyone can “feed” from the water column so make sure nitrate available and stable 5-15ppm and phosphate stable at 0.1ppm, these way all micro stuff feeds, and this feeds our corals.

Also flow, sticks love flows.

Good luck
IMG_1991.jpeg
Yup! Stability is key. I hit my alkalinity at 9. What is the difference if I was to keep it at 12?

Beautiful STICKS you got there!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! Stability is key. I hit my alkalinity at 9. What is the difference if I was to keep it at 12?

Beautiful STICKS you got there!
Me too, 9dkh.
I tried 12dkh for 6 months and noticed nothing except the cost to maintain Alk go way up.
So back to 9dkh, that leaves some room on each end.
Some say elevated Alk/CA/Mg results in better growth.
If it does, not sure I could see it, it may be very small.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, 9dkh.
I tried 12dkh for 6 months and noticed nothing except the cost to maintain Alk go way up.
So back to 9dkh, that leaves some room on each end.
Some say elevated Alk/CA/Mg results in better growth.
If it does, not sure I could see it, it may be very small.
Ok. I keep al how it is. I am trying to get mag up too 1400 -1450 to see if that help.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the Elegance? Was it able to recover?
The elegance never recovered. I haven’t gotten a new one since but all my other corals are doing great and all my new corals are doing good.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elegance never recovered. I haven’t gotten a new one since but all my other corals are doing great and all my new corals are doing good.
Sorry to hear about the Elegance. Glad the others are doing well. Those are one of my favorites.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the Elegance. Glad the others are doing well. Those are one of my favorites.
Yeah it was a beautiful coral but didn’t do well in my tank. Still not sure why. I want to try another but not sure if it’s the best idea .

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all my elegance corals have gone through an ugly stage when adapting. Almost all. I find if they get some sort of flow, they will be fine. I also had them in shaded areas where they would end up deflating and loosing tentacles. Put back in direct light, they will be fine. They also dislike detritus. Every time mine began to swell or look off, it was time for water change and cleaning. Would be happy again. Had another person I know was keeping one and had it on pvc. Told him same thing. Pvc was filled. Cleaned it and it went back to normal.
You can find my big post here if scroll down a bit

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was a beautiful coral but didn’t do well in my tank. Still not sure why. I want to try another but not sure if it’s the best idea .
You never know unless you try. Maybe you just got a bad one or maybe they're currently not for you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back