Elegance coral tissue dissolving?!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that brown stuff looks bacteria, i would move it to another tank to try a cipro treatment if it continues to decline.
They love to eat as well, mine has now eaten a couple hundred dollars worth of snails, everytime i add more, the shell graveyard just gets bigger

OP
OP
Nitrogencat

Nitrogencat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
it’s doing so much better with lower nitrates and indirect lighting. I feel as if i fixed my problem. Im not sure if it’s the lighting or the nitrates or both but something good happened :) it’s almost fully open in my little cave i created for it. The tentacles are not fully extended but i believe im on the right track. Thanks everyone for posting. It may of just saved my elegance. ✌️

B27697EA-BEF1-4599-93FB-017A99D3692B.png

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good...Mine's about 2 years old now. And my nitrates are allways high.in the 20's...They will close up for a day or two, every now and then. Mine is starting to bubble or bounce for some reason???

OP
OP
Nitrogencat

Nitrogencat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looks good...Mine's about 2 years old now. And my nitrates are allways high.in the 20's...They will close up for a day or two, every now and then. Mine is starting to bubble or bounce for some reason???
So you think mine will be okay even if it closes a little bit from time to time while it’s adjusting? And that sounds kinda crazy lol wonder what’s going on

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the corals fully open, try feeding a piece of 1/4x1/4 in. of raw shrimp..That actually helps the coral heal..It beats trying to dump food on it and hopes it gets some. I buy the frozen raw at Target,you get a pound for $7... If the tissue ressesion doesn't stop.You can try the chemi clean dip... ChemiClean dip.2 1/2 scoops per quart of tank water for 20/30 minutes with air circulation. Repeat if nessasary, every 4 to 5 days..you can reuse the dip, just need to warm it back up... As for my elegans starting to bounce up,it looks really cool,Now with it bouncing like a mushroom coral, it's worth $Thousands.LOL

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1646934024852.jpeg

The big bubbles around 2in the smaller ones about an inch, I don't have a clue whats causing this, maybe getting stung by the chalice, in the background ??,I move the chalice up, just incase.

OP
OP
Nitrogencat

Nitrogencat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Update!!!!! So my coral started receding again after the last post. I started getting really worried and almost started trying different dips. I’m so glad i didn’t. This coral was showing all the signs of the ecs: swelling around plate, spitting mucas, closing at night but more open in the morning. I thought it was it for sure but i just kept thinking about how well it was doing at the reef store. So after 72 hours of research, literally reading every article about elegance syndrome and elegance problems in general i realized its just lighting. I really think it’s as simple as that. These things sit pretty far down in the wild reefs and don’t get a lot of light but strong current and lots of nutrients. My lighting is my tank at the time i got it was probably average 150-200 par. And i believe that i just shocked it with high par leds. That’s why i think it was okay for the first day but after that it was downhill. Anyway i turned my acclimation mode starting at 10% so it’s really low light compared to what it was. It almost looks completely blue now. But boy am i happy. My coral did a decent turn in the right direction i believe. I almost wanna say that ecs is just made up because i had all the symptoms of it but when it came down to it it was just lighting. No dips just water change and dimming and its happier at least for now. I know it’s a big leap saying that ecs isn’t real but I’m just wandering if these corals really need some serious acclimation periods. Maybe that’s why they do so well When they are acclimated via a qt tank with lower lighting than the display. This is just my theory. I wouldn’t say it’s concrete but this is just my own findings that may help someone else one day so i think it’s worth writing. :) I’ll continue to update

Attachments

• 42FD04A2-AE5F-48DF-9EC6-CBE3E880DA9C.png
    42FD04A2-AE5F-48DF-9EC6-CBE3E880DA9C.png
    731.8 KB · Views: 39

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These guys are tough and as you know photosynthetic requiring a moderately high amount of light to support photosynthesis. But that doesn’t translate to strong light. LEDs, fluorescent, or other reef-caliber lights will be sufficient. You want to aim for a PAR of about 80-120. Also important is water flow which should be moderate.
You don’t want the flow to be too hard or too soft. “Just right” means the tentacles flow gently, like leaves in a light wind. Too little and elegance corals will not thrive. Too much flow and you risk tearing the delicate polyps.
The proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps, ensuring they remain nourished. And you’ll see the typical “sweeping” movement as they drift in the current.
They have a photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae that live inside its body tissue and provide nutrition by harvesting the energy in light – much like a house plant. They also benefit from regular feedings. with foods such as krill, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or small pieces of fish, and shrimp.
If your elegance had elegance coral syndrome (ECS)disease, you’ll see swelling around the oral disc and unopened polyps or a white mucus coating.

OP
OP
Nitrogencat

Nitrogencat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 81 75.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back