Elegance Coral Unhappy?

AlisaMarie16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello lovely people looking for thoughts and advice! My elegance coral has been folded on one side for a few days now and I am starting to worry. It almost looks like she’s missing her sweepers on that side. Also noticed this weird brown dot (possibly unrelated?) The dot has not moved or really changed. My alkaline is pretty high so I was sure if that could be related and it doesn’t seem to ever drop. I use instant ocean reef crystals. I also have high phosphates.
IMG_4549.jpeg
IMG_4575.jpeg
IMG_4574.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello lovely people looking for thoughts and advice! My elegance coral has been folded on one side for a few days now and I am starting to worry. It almost looks like she’s missing her sweepers on that side. Also noticed this weird brown dot (possibly unrelated?) The dot has not moved or really changed. My alkaline is pretty high so I was sure if that could be related and it doesn’t seem to ever drop. I use instant ocean reef crystals. I also have high phosphates.
IMG_4549.jpeg
IMG_4575.jpeg
IMG_4574.jpeg
I would move her, too much flow can also cause them to be retracted on one side.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the skeleton it’s got clear cuts so it’s an elegance frag, so one side could just not have tissue and tentacles to extend right now. It could be the new growth side that’s trying to keep itself tucked in.

Did it look like this from the start?

Not sure if you changed the flow, but it could be pushing the tissue over if too targeted. Elegance corals can handle flow but direct flow can prevent it from extending.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like a new tank that is just starting the algae phase, thats a tough time to add corals, especially finicky corals. Just be patient for these next few months, and control the water parameters.

OP
OP
AlisaMarie16

AlisaMarie16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the skeleton it’s got clear cuts so it’s an elegance frag, so one side could just not have tissue and tentacles to extend right now. It could be the new growth side that’s trying to keep itself tucked in.

Did it look like this from the start?

Not sure if you changed the flow, but it could be pushing the tissue over if too targeted. Elegance corals can handle flow but direct flow can prevent it from extending.
She is usually fully open and extended. I changed the flow about a month ago but she has been fine until recently. I have had the coral 4 months.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME your tank may be too young to have the right environment . My first Elegance looked good .. until it did not. Now I have two of them for over 2 years. Their ultimate food is mussels that should be fed at night so that fish will not steal from them.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 5 months old! Alk is at 12, PO4 is at 1 NO3 is at 5. Obviously not the most ideal parameters but I am struggling to get those numbers to change.
This coral can just perish seemly overnight without any changes.

Few say success with this stunning coral.

Shame…

OP
OP
AlisaMarie16

AlisaMarie16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME your tank may be too young to have the right environment . My first Elegance looked good .. until it did not. Now I have two of them for over 2 years. Their ultimate food is mussels that should be fed at night so that fish will not steal from them.
Thank you for the tip! I’ll try that and hopefully I can keep her alive.

OP
OP
AlisaMarie16

AlisaMarie16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: did an iodide dip. Still has this odd white “fuzz” almost looks like puss or fungus. Elegance coral syndrome? something else? Any thoughts? Please and thank you
IMG_4613.jpeg
IMG_4612.jpeg

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance corals live in sandy, murky waters and love a strong flow. I would leave it w/o changes except for the dosing of carbon to pump up the bacterial population.

Luisn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance corals hate high phosphate, once I hit 0.15-0.20 my Australian elegance starts to show this is “unacceptable” behavior. I mostly have leathers and euphyllia so I run around 0.10-0.15. Australian are indeed tougher than the Indonesian.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance corals hate high phosphate, once I hit 0.15-0.20 my Australian elegance starts to show this is “unacceptable” behavior. I mostly have leathers and euphyllia so I run around 0.10-0.15. Australian are indeed tougher than the Indonesian.
Here’s my Indonesian when it was much happier. This was under my higher phosphates - I find as long as your nutrients are balanced they don’t care. If they’re out of balance they truly do start to go iffy.
IMG_9428.jpeg

OP
OP
AlisaMarie16

AlisaMarie16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this is part of the problem with mine! Thank you for your reply.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back