Elegance coral

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an elegance coral 2-3 weeks ago. This is the first I have ever had. It looked cool and the vendor stated they are easy to keep. It was wide open for about the first week and then started closing down with smaller tentacle extension. It is placed in moderate flow on the bottom. It tends to grab food during feedings. I dipped with with coral Rx. Tank runs 76.5 F, 1.025, ca 450, Alk 9.1, Nitrate 3, phos 0. Lights are led T5 hybrid. I find different reviews regarding this coral. All sellers list as an easy to keep coral. I found one thread which posted a video link suggesting low light and high flow to mimic how they are found and captive coral states better to just leave them in the ocean. I have had some trouble with favia in this tank but euphelia does really well, acans continue to grow, pocilliopora and stylophora do well, and of course mushrooms do well.

Any thoughts on placement? I am considering moving back into the brighter lights and figuring it just needs more time to get used to the tank. I have had other coral stagnant for a long time and then just take off. The differences in husbandry are alarming and I hope to at least give it a chance with decent placement.

Mitch Summerford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I am searching for my first elegance as well. Hopefully someone chimes in. I know Tidal Gardens on Youtube did a cool video just on Elegance corals you may go watch. Tells about par and flow I think.

OP
OP
N

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future searches, here is the link to the good video @Mitch Summerford mentioned. One note - it does not talk about placement in regards to other corals, so make sure to read up on that, too, or you may end up with some dead or injured corals :-(

That was not the video I had previously found but it was good. The history as also interesting. The description of the disease of the one I purchased was fairly accurate. Now I need to figure out if that infection lingers in the tank or wears off.

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be a little particular. It could also be the specimen. I got mine from reefer40b and it has exploded in growth.
Make sure you don't have anyone that is upsetting it.
Mine stays like this even despite the large pH swings I have been going through.
My tank stays at about 8.6 alk, 440 Cal, 1320ish mag, pH is between 7.75 and 8.1 generally. Trying to fix that now. My phosphates and nitrates are low. I have a good bit of flow in my tank. 2 660gph powerheads, and a gyre 3k on the back wall.

IMG_20200102_170619.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back