Element Dosing (Fl, Br, B)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Is this Rb safe to use?

I expect so, but I would not bother to dose rubidium. It has no known biological role in any known organism.

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect so, but I would not bother to dose rubidium. It has no known biological role in any known organism.
2 more(i think :grimacing-face:)

Is this okay for chromium? Like selenium, 1 capsule per 100ml?

I found a vanadium pentoxide thread but just want to verify this one is okay to use?

Last edited:

ToxicMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley ,
Sorry for bringing an old thread back up. I would like to do what the OP was looking into, as im using the Moonshiners methodology and dosing calculator, but being in a different country wasn't sure if the chemicals I have available to me are the same strength/purity etc as the examples made above.
The sodium fluoride I am able to source states the minimum assay as 97%, and the molecular weight as 41.99g/mol.
Would I still mix this at 11.1gm per litre? Or does this amount change to slightly more needed with the 45.2 compared to the 41.99?
If you are not skilled at working with toxic compounds, I'd recommend against DIY fluoride.

"38ML of his Fluoride solution would raise 0.5 mg/L in 378L"

Thus the dosing solution must be 5 g/L fluoride

Sodium fluoride is 45.2 % fluoride by weight, so the dosing solution can be made by mixing 11.1 grams of anhydrous sodium fluoride in a liter of water.

Be very careful with sodium fluoride as it can be quite hazardous and toxic.

Hazard statement(s)
H301 Toxic if swallowed.
H315 Causes skin irritation.
H319 Causes serious eye irritation.

Precautionary statement(s)
P264 Wash skin thoroughly after handling.
P270 Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product.
P280 Wear protective gloves/ eye protection/ face protection.
P301 + P310 + P330 IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor.
Rinse mouth.
P302 + P352 IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water.
P305 + P351 + P338 IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes.
Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue
rinsing.
P332 + P313 If skin irritation occurs: Get medical advice/ attention.
P337 + P313 If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice/ attention.
P362 Take off contaminated clothing and wash before reuse.
P405 Store locked up.
P501 Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal
plant.
And as for the bromide, the one i can purchase is minimum assay of 98.0% and molecular weight of 102.89g/mol. Again do I mix the same as you have quoted or does the amount change?
"35ML of his Bromine solution will raise 5 mg/L Br in 378L"

Thus the dosing solution must be 54 g/L bromide

Sodium bromide is 77.6% bromide by weight, so the dosing solution can be made by mixing 70 grams of anhydrous sodium bromide in a liter of water
Or have I completely not understood the molecular weight vs the % weight you have quoted in both of the above?

And finally the borax. The OPs original question was "47ML of his Boron Solution will add 0.5 mg/L of B in 378L". Unfortunately it seems there was a typo/misunderstanding in your reply as you tried to work it out at 7ml, instead of 47ml. Could you please just confirm what the formula would be at 47ml please?
No go on the borax.

"7ML of his Boron Solution will add 0.5 mg/L of B in 378L"

Thus the dosing solution must be 27g/L boron

Borax varies a bit, but is most often described at 11.3% boron by weight, so the dosing solution would be made by mixing 239 grams of borax in a liter of water.

That is well above the solubility limit of borax, so perhaps they are not using borax.

Boric Acid Technical Fact Sheet
Thank you so much, and apologies for the long winded question. I just wanted to make sure I was comparing apples to apples in the products I have available here to the products available in the US. Thank you.

ToxicMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also... Would Distilled/ Demineralised water be better to use than RODI when mixing these up? (I have access to both)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also... Would Distilled/ Demineralised water be better to use than RODI when mixing these up? (I have access to both)

Either water is ok.

Anything 90+% purity would use the same recipe directions as the same chemical at higher purity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the boron, I misread the request for 47 as 7. My calculation was based on the 7 as I indicated and one may be able to make a boron solution matching that.

Borax is a suitable material, regardless of the concentration used.

ToxicMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So going back to Borax... these were my calculations...
47ml of boron raises 0.5mg/L in a 378litre aquarium,
thus the solution must be 4g/L boron.
Borax is 11.3% boron, so the solution can be made by mixing 35.4gm in 1 litre of water.
Did I do that correctly?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So going back to Borax... these were my calculations...
47ml of boron raises 0.5mg/L in a 378litre aquarium,
thus the solution must be 4g/L boron.
Borax is 11.3% boron, so the solution can be made by mixing 35.4gm in 1 litre of water.
Did I do that correctly?

Yes. :)

I'm not sure you will be able to dissolve that much. The solubility is listed as 31.7 g/L.

Alternative solutions can be made from boric acid if matching the potency is a high priority.

ToxicMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. :)

I'm not sure you will be able to dissolve that much. The solubility is listed as 31.7 g/L.

Alternative solutions can be made from boric acid if matching the potency is a high priority.
If I can only dissolve 31.7gm into 1 litre, then ill do that. Since I have figured out the calculations, I should be able to now calculate a new amount to dose to raise by whatever amount :)
(Boric Acid is ten times more expensive, so makes it an easy decision)
Thanks again!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back