Elements to enhance yellow coloration in corals?

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as the title says, I'm trying to figure out if there are any particular elements that I should watch for to enhance yellow coloration in my hammers.
I have good growth of green, purple and golden hammers but for some reason yellow Aussie / yellow highlighter hammers lose their color over time in my tank.
I have tried 3 different vendors.
SPS are doing well too, it's just those yellow hammers giving me trouble.
I dose elements and keep track of them with regular ICP tests from ATI that show good levels besides high nitrate and phosphate. Last ATI ICP score was 98.
Thanks for the help

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500 par under halides they glow! It never looked like this under my radions.. I cook it about 6” below a 250w metal halide.. 14k phoenix bulbs.

Edit! Sorry I just saw you said hammers.. I have a couple but not a gold one and they’re getting acclimated now to the higher lighting.
IMG_0480.jpeg
IMG_0423.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
specific colors relate to specific element deficiencies only in the minds of supplement marketing interns who have no data to support their fever dreams of big sales increases.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to run your whites high 4 to 6 hours a day for your yellow’s and gold
Yes... Radion AB+ and LPs templates accomplish that for you. I use LPS template for midday daylight with some whites, red and green and golds/yellows are good. Not as much as AB+ which is supposed to be more like MH. And yes Randy hit it on the head. Close to 10 years ago I tried that whole RedSea Coral Colors testing and additives system. Waste of time/money. Manually test or ICP and add what you really need.

LPS
lpsspect.JPG

AB+
lpsspect2.JPG

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley that was a good one :)
@Outlaw Corals
I'm running Radion G5 Blues at 70% for 8 hours plus 3 hours ramp up and 1 hour ramp down.
If I were to adjust that, would it be better to just increase my overall intensity maintaining all my levels at 100% or should I reduce the other colors to increase the whites?
@zoomonster I'm a bit confused by the comment, Outlaw suggested increasing whites but you suggested AB+ and LPS which have lower whites?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley that was a good one :)
@Outlaw Corals
I'm running Radion G5 Blues at 70% for 8 hours plus 3 hours ramp up and 1 hour ramp down.
If I were to adjust that, would it be better to just increase my overall intensity maintaining all my levels at 100% or should I reduce the other colors to increase the whites?
@zoomonster I'm a bit confused by the comment, Outlaw suggested increasing whites but you suggested AB+ and LPS which have lower whites?
Some people run no white. Those two proven templates provide some and can always be increased. The point really was I have 29 torches, frogs and hammers including yellow/orange/green/purple/blue and have no color issues. Thats why it's called the LPS template. Of course, it suggests running 35% intensity and I'm running 58% now. Of course I have a 10yo tank and what many would consider high nutrients.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people run no white. Those two proven templates provide some and can always be increased. The point really was I have 29 torches, frogs and hammers including yellow/orange/green/purple/blue and have no color issues. Thats why it's called the LPS template. Of course, it suggests running 35% intensity and I'm running 58% now. Of course I have a 10yo tank and what many would consider high nutrients.
Show us your yellow corals!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back