Elevated antimony - why should I care?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but how many of them can verify pipes have that, or not. I think the majority because of water quality standards becoming big issues, also changing infrastructure wouldn't have this problem. However reading this other thread sheds light on that the plastic/metal parts could have this also.

If RO/DI has no antimony, then that is not the problem for reefers.

If you want to debate whether it is a common health issue for people, that's a different discussion.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree to that If. I would kindly disagree to ro/di being able to pull it out in some cases. Depending on what species it is can get past resins. Same with lead. That is all I ment by that. I saw this thread before the other.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree to that If. I would kindly disagree to ro/di being able to pull it out in some cases. Depending on what species it is can get past resins. Same with lead. That is all I ment by that. I saw this thread before the other.

OK, we disagree.

The papers I have read suggest RO/DI will easily remove the traces of antimony that might be in drinking water. The EPA limit for drinking water is only 6 ppb BEFORE the RO/DI.

The reports from reefers I have seen do not show elevated antimony in RO/DI.

Thus, I conclude it is not a substantial source for reef tanks.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all this aside I have read some that suggests it does get through. Granted if it makes its way through all filter stages it would be low. However this could accumulate in a tank. Not to mention other than city water, people on well water with mineral sources that could contain it. Who don't usually follow epa regs. Without prior knowledge of the other thread with trending results from that particular uv device I say hey be concerned. Back to post 12 though I think it shouldn't be ignored. Especially if you are using this water non reef related.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers do not typically find it coming from source water and is easily removed by RO/DI. It is more often associated with certain mechanical devices, such as the Green Killing Machine.
So are you saying it’s from the green killing machine ? , or any other brand of UV light ? And is related to the deterioration of the unit ie: rust ??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying it’s from the green killing machine ? , or any other brand of UV light ? And is related to the deterioration of the unit ie: rust ??

I'm just saying that a number of folks have made that connection:

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started that thread and yea I had raised antimony on multiple brands of ICP test after continued use of the green clean machine. I had numerous problems with unexplained coral deaths at that time as well. I don’t know if it was from the antimony though.

My tank is doing much better since removing it though, but I’ve also made other changes since that time so who knows. I do know that when I took the green killing machine out and broke it apart tons of black gunk came out it like the plastic was deteriorating from the UV exposure. Not something I want happening in my tank.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing this info . The black gunk doesn’t sound like it would be good in any tank and not knowing what that substance is it could have been toxic . Be interesting if it was sent out for diagnosis to know exactly what it is . Now it makes me even though I don’t have that brand UV want to take apart mine to check for any anomaly’s like the gunk you speak of .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back