Elevated fuge as a electronically-activatable surge tank

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, hopefully the title is useful, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm planning a build of a big tank for next year (probably 180, but I might go 30" deep for a 210). Note there's also a pending question about what I should do for the DT's bean animal to handle this idea smoothly, but this is mostly concerned with how to do the actual fuge/surge section.

So: I'm planning to have a big giant fuge above the DT, so it will gravity feed into the DT and be fed from a Tee off the return's line. I think this means I need to put a gate valve on the DT's return line so a small amount is pushed up into the fuge, but I'll have a ball valve on the line to the fuge too so it can be turned off.

Why do you have this crazy idea, Keith?
I love the idea of doing a real surge, I've liked the idea for years. It's cool for imagining things are in a tidal zone, it's cool for replicating big waves/storm mode, etc. but it is LOUD because the siphon is constantly opening and closing, also you get lots of air in the tank when that siphon is changing state. So I want to be able to have a normal 'show' tank when I want it quiet and no air bubbles, but I also just love the idea of doing this. Also, running a surge all the time makes an ATO not work because the water level is supposed to change all the time. so by having the surge only on sometimes, you can only run the ATO when not running surge mode.

OK, what's the idea?
I'll add pictures ASAP, maybe tonight...but here's the idea:

Have a bean animal in the fuge, but only the siphon will be the fuge. For those who already know a bean animal, skip the rest of the paragraph. A bean animal overflow normally has three pipes in an overflow box. one (the 'siphon') has a valve to slow it to be a full siphon, just less than the amount the return pump is pushing into the tank. One (the 'open') looks similar, but it has a little airline poked out its top and the airline runs back down until just above the desired water line. In normal use, this airline's end is dry so it never draws a siphon, but if something goes haywire, it will turn into a full siphon as the tank water level rises. The final tube is the 'emergency' and just ends somewhere above the desired water level, the idea is if something really goes wrong with the others, this one should normally be dry, so it should be an easy backup. The idea is only the first two ever are wet, and the second tube has no valve so when it needs to go siphon (because the airline's end is submerged), it does so without restriction. The big idea is that by going full siphon on one, and leaving just a trickle down the 'open', everything is dead silent. BTW, best plan is to put the other end of the siphon pipe under the sump water level since it has no air to bubble and let the 'open' fall just above the water line, or some do a tee so it has a straight fall to below the water and an escape above water level for the air to escape. I suggest having the emergency positioned above the water so it's LOUD when in use so you know something's wrong.

Remember, by bean animal is draining from the fuge into the DT, normally we discuss from the DT to the sump, so I want that to be clear.

OK, back to my idea. Instead of putting the whole bean animal in an overflow box like normal, I want to be able to activate a surge on this, so I want at least one pipe to reach down into the fuge so it can drain a ton of volume at once. In my case, I'm thinking I want to drain 50 gallons as a surge into my 180g tank, but I have a plan to make it flexible...wait for it. I think I'll be using a 150g stock tank as my fuge, which sits about 25" high. It's not exactly straight-walled, but let's assume I want to drain 8" of water level from the fuge as a surge.

I think I still want some surface skimming on the fuge, so I'll put my siphon pipe in a small overflow box in the fuge (construction of the box will be creative, but that's beside the point). Say I put the weir for that box 3" below the lip, so I have 22" of water. If I put all my pipes in the box, it'd be a normal bean animal...but I'm not normal.

So, the emergency is just an emergency, no need to really be in the overflow box, I'll just stick it in the open area of the fuge, about 1" below the tank wall. It is supposed to stay dry, no big deal. I might even have this pipe feed direct to the sump instead of into the DT, we'll see.

The open pipe is where this gets interesting. I'll put this out in the open fuge, possibly in some kind of perforated cage so the macro doesn't clog into it. I'll have the pipe come up so as it curves back down (with PVC fittings), the pipe comes up and is just split across the height of the overflow box's weir before it goes back down to below the water level and, importantly...this has a threaded fitting on its end. Then the airline that we put out the top I put through an Apex solenoid on its way to a normal spot above the water level. Now I can thread on a downpipe to the 'open' pipe.

Here's the idea, I normally have the solenoid open (I wonder if Apex has an 'opposite' solenoid that is only closed when its powered...) so there is a vent for this open pipe to operate normally. when I close this airline, the water can't drain 'open' through the pipe anymore because the downpipe is several inches under water, so the water level starts rising until it actually raises above the pipe's highpoint. once that pipe's curve is fully submerged, it should shift to a full siphon...loudly, but oh well. Now it should hold siphon until either the airline solenoid opens (it won't) or the water level drops below the downpipe so it sucks air.

so, if I program the apex right (disclaimer: I've never owned nor programmed an apex, so I'm guessing, but I am a literal software engineer for a living), I can flip a virtual switch at will to close the airline solenoid and activate 'surge mode', and it will fill/drain in a surge mode until I flip the switch off. Of course, I could set a timer for this so it surges for X minutes every hour, or it surges between the time of 2pm and 6pm, or...whatever.

Here's the first question: will the siphon actually activate like I want? The idea is that this open pipe has to valve, so it should dump the water in a hurry, maybe a minute or two for 50g through a 1" pipe, but really depends on the head height (head drop?). I could always size up this pipe if I wanted to speed it up, which would also quiet down the pipe in open mode, so perhaps I should do a 2" pipe so it is extra quiet when in 'open' mode and extra fast when in 'surge' mode. Of course, I could also figure out the approximate timing for the surge cycle and turn it on for slightly longer than that long each hour, so it would do a single surge per hour...or something. Here's the point: if the idea is valid, I can program my apex to close this solenoid any way I feel like it to get a surge effect whenever I want.

I plan to grow something (maybe feather caulerpa?) that can tolerate a drop in water level, it'll just squash when the water level drops. I could even kill the lights during the surge, but I doubt that's important.

Bonus: I'm thinking the surge will carry some extra 'pods into the DT for my fish to eat.

Note: the ATO will go wacky during the surge, but mostly under the basic idea, it just barely underfills the sump while the fuge gets above the open pipe, and massively overfills the sump as the fuge drains into the DT, which drains into the sump.

2nd note: you've got to make sure the DT's weir and its drain setup can handle the surge. I'm mostly planning that the DT's open pipe will bump into siphon mode when the fuge is draining the surge...again...loud.

What are these pieces again?
big idea: open pipe is outside the overflow box with its downpipe going down really far (several inches, but you can size it to match the surge you want. Add a solenoid on the airline we usually have on the open pipe so the apex can close the solenoid and activate surge mode.

Is there more?
You don't know me very well yet...of course there is.
1) you could even have different downpipes of different lengths to create different volume surges by just threading them onto the end of the open pipe's threads).
2) if the return pump is DC powered, you can turn it up during surge mode (using the Apex) so the surge tank fills faster. you could also run an extra pump to the fuge (from sump) to fill it faster. But this comes with a caveat: your ATO will go haywire with the extra water pumping up the fuge, in fact, the return section of the sump might not have enough water to push the extra water up to the fuge. You may need the extra return to be in a different section, which introduces lots of complications.

So what's the idea?
  • Use a 2" pipe for the fuge's open drain so about an inch of its width is above the normal water line before it curves back down to a long downpipe.
  • Put a solenoid on the fuge open drain's vent so I can close it with the apex (and turn off the ATO), thus activating surge mode
  • the emergency of the fuge's bean animal stays dry all the time.
  • The siphon actually keeps siphoning until the overflow box goes dry (when the surge starts draining, the fuge will stop overflowing into the box, so the siphon will break on the normal siphon pipe, and it may or may not re-siphon before the surge siphon starts. I suppose if you had a way to close the siphon pipe's flow (a 1" solenoid?), you could just turn it off while in surge mode...it would probably be quieter.
  • Make sure the sump has enough room in the return section that it can actually fill the fuge :)
Two big questions for the interwebs:
1) Am I crazy, does something like this work?
2) what size should by pipes be and my weir be? how do I calculate that? I'm thinking I'd like to be able to dump 50g into my 6x2x2 180g, probably with a slim internal and large external overflow maybe a 4' toothed overflow? how tall/wide do the teeth need to be? Maybe I need to size the open pipe from DT to sump at 2" so it can pull everything the fuge is dumping? I think I'll do a big (3") emergency from the DT to sump to make sure nothing can clog it. Also, note the normal 900gph return will be going through the DT from the sump plus the surge, so it may dump 50gpm in addition to that 900gph.

Now...tear apart my idea while I draw it up in sketchup so it makes more sense

SurgeTankIdea-FugeOverflow.jpg SurgeTankIdea-FugeOverflow2.jpg SurgeTankIdea-Overview.jpg SurgeTankIdea-Overview2.jpg SurgeTankIdea-SolenoidClose.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, more detail. I added a draft of the sump here. note the fuge's emergency just drains to the sump, no sense it making the DT deal with whatever emergency is going on. I didn't show the DT's bean animal all the way down, but I think we're all smart enough to show them going down to the sump. also, I think the fuge will actually be above the sump, just about perfectly stacked, not turned 90 as shown, but this makes the plumbing easier to see.

It also shows the valves on the return. I expect I'd have the return to the display tuned so about 150gph goes through the fuge (I'm assuming the water wants to go to the DT since it's lower, and I only tune down the DT's valve). The valve going to the fuge is just to shut it off when needed for maintenance/etc.

Sump shows a little 2'x2' box with a little under-over-under to make sure whatever is happening in the rest of the stock tank sump, the return is getting bubble-free water. Basically, I build a nice little box, taller than the water level I want, with one end built out with this baffle setup. Put the return pump in the box with the ATO. I'll probably put another optical sensor in there with a PMUP as well to do a few gallon's water change every day or so...volume and frequency of that AWC is TBD.

Should be room to stick sensors in the main sump area, along with the skimmer and some other things (reactors, etc). The DT will have a 1 or 1.5" gated siphon, a 2" open, and a 3" emergency draining to the sump, plus the 3" emergency from the fuge. the DT will have the 1" gated siphon and 2" surge-type open draining from the fuge.

Does the plumbing work? Does this thing just turn on whenever I close that solenoid? how careful does the open/surge pipe's height need to be?

SurgeTankIdea-WithSump.jpg

OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...I know this is long, but I'm hoping someone can help me pick this apart. I've been thinking I'd put the two drains from-fuge-to-DT down a corner to near the sand, but with a deflector so it doesn't actually hit the sand, this should help get pods into the rocks instead of washing straight into the sump, and help turnover the water throughout the tank.

I know they need a siphon break just above the DT water level, that's easy. And I might try to wrap most of the pipe in either a larger pipe or a false wall so the bubbles tend to rise there before they get into the rest of the display. But this extra pipe or false wall would probably stop shoot 2/3s of the way down so the water can wash it the bottom during surge

OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, a problem I realized on my own: the overflow box I have drawn with the open outside the box will make everything wonky and hard to adjust because the open channel is working with a competing water level compared to the siphon. new plan:
I still really want a little surface-skimming over a weir in the fuge, but it shouldn't need to be much, but I need the bean animal just out in the fuge without a box so it can properly siphon off the top and the open can be super tall.

Note: I'm shifting lingo from BA's "siphon", "open", "emergency" to "siphon", "surge", "emergency". the "surge" is supposed to be exactly the same function as BA's "open" unless the solenoid closes the airline, then it functions as a long-downpipe siphon.

I'll make a little overflow box with a very small weir, I'm thinking something like a 3-4mm wide notch, or maybe a couple bladewidths of the table saw and I'll make this mini-weir very tall. This small, it should pull something like 1gph normally (about a cm of height above the weir's bottom), which is hopefully just enough to pull the oil off the top, but not any real amount of water. if/when the tank level rises, nothing really changes, even if it gets 10cm tall, we're still only pulling around 25gph, and I could do this as a pair of openings, one that's 1-2mm and only a couple cm tall, the other 2mm slice could go taller, but that's probably over engineering. 25gph doesn't really matter with 150gph coming into the fuge. I'd probably use some more 1" plumbing for this to drain into the sump (skimmer), but it could probably be done with 3/8", I don't plan to gate this, but I might stick a ball valve on it just in case.

Then I put the whole bean animal out in the open fuge space, probably in a cage so the macro doesn't clog it. the siphon will probably just pull off the bottom gated down to not be able to drain the fuge (maybe 50% of the input from the sump). the surge will carry almost as much as the siphon normally, but have a big upside down 'U' to suck from near the fuge's bottom. When the airline closes, the surge becomes a siphon. presumably, the overflow can't take much (several gph with a few inches of extra water in the fuge), and the surge stops flowing 'right' until it gets enough head height to pull a siphon, which will hold until a lot of water has drained (since this has a long downpipe). Set the emergency above the surge's highest point by an inch or two so the surge can actually start before the emergency gets wet.

Thoughts?

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheato idea for you what about using egg crate sandwich with "bobbers" to keep it floating at the highest level but avoid the loose stringiness.... currently doing that with mine and its way more easily managed might help avoiding a need for a cage while keeping it in water at all times.... i'll look over your idea more later to see if i can think of anything else i once had a surge tank on a 110g tall and loved it!

OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
egg crate sandwhich is interesting. ya, know, I might actually extend that to have an egg crate wall so the return feeds into the macro and the whole BA setup is on the other side of some egg crate. this way I could have some open space there to do something else with (stick a problem fish, maybe a sun coral just for fun or something?) Either way, I'm thinking egg crate is the solution to keep the macro away from the BA (since there won't be overflow teeth to do the job). I may also put a strainer on the siphon and surge openings as a second measure. Thanks for taking another look, I'm convinced there must be some way to have an elevated fuge that can function silently and no bubbles most of the time but have a surge aspect on-demand.

I may do something like melev's bubble tower for the spot the fuge drains into the DT, and I totally realize they both need an air-leak spot above the DT's water level, I'm thinking I can just puncture the drain pipe with a small drill bit barely above the DT water level so it will have a teeny stream of water there, but it lets air out while the siphon is starting.

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an idea i had while thinking of the issues and my design one thing came to mind since im running reefpi i could turn off the return pump to the display moments before the surge happened then turn it back on after the surge. both seperate pumps which could allow me to control the frequency of the surges. as for the eggcrate sandwich mine is about 14 long and 8" wide and 1" think it basically floats on its own so it wouldnt take much to keep it at the top maybe a sealed pvc pipe on either side?.

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course my sump is a 75 gallon so i have alittle more room for water to drain.

OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an idea i had while thinking of the issues and my design one thing came to mind since im running reefpi i could turn off the return pump to the display moments before the surge happened then turn it back on after the surge. both seperate pumps which could allow me to control the frequency of the surges. as for the eggcrate sandwich mine is about 14 long and 8" wide and 1" think it basically floats on its own so it wouldnt take much to keep it at the top maybe a sealed pvc pipe on either side?.
Sorry...'control the frequency of the surges'...My expectation is that I'd drop around 50g in about 1 minute (2" pipe, 1ft drop), and my plan is to have the return putting 150gph into my 150g fuge, so it'd take about 20 minutes to replace that 50g. If the surge pipe's function controlled with the solenoid, I can just close the solenoid for say, 5 minutes (enough to fill the fuge enough to starte the surge, then another minute to drop, but not enough to restart the surge's siphon), then open the siphon again until I want the next surge. I could just set a timer to close the solenoid for 5 minutes at the top of every hour to get one surge per hour. More likely, I'd have it surge automatically every evening a while after my usual feeding, perhaps or perhaps 30 minutes after the auto-feeder, or something.

I'm thinking I'd have a 150 feed tank for the sump and another for the raised fuge, run the sump with only 50g in it, so the 50g surge is easy. Important caveat is making the return section in the sump large enough the surge just fills it and the skimmer's section doesn't change water level during the surge. I think I might have the DT's BA send the siphon to the skimmer so it's a constant flow (perhaps 600gph or so), the open and emergency might skip the skimmer. This way I get some 'dirty' water into the fuge and the water level in the skimmer section should be perfectly static except when the DT's BA siphon breaks (rare). I just need the return section to have capacity for an extra 75g or so; the 50g surge plus some safety.

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im all for solenoids, but its a matter of time before someone asks what if it doesnt open? rely on float switches to turn on and turn off pumps? what if they get salt creep and stop functioning? i would feel safer with timed fill pumps and siphons that create the surge.

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also might want to think about relocating the skimmer now as it was an after thought on my part if its in its own tank no need to worry about water levels in the sump changing. which will open you up to having a 50gal influx

Last edited:

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also overshoot the open return so it can handle more i know my jebao 10000 pushes my 2 3/4 full siphon lines basically wide open on the valves and i would think a 50gal surge would be more then that especially at 50gal per min is still 3000gal per hour i know it will only run for a minute but you need to overshoot the 3000g per hour number and my jebao im sure isnt pushing the 2600 it says but to max out 2x 3/4 siphons i would your "open" should would need to be pretty large

OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...what if it doesnt open?...
Then the fuge's surge just keeps going constantly (around a 1 min surge every 20 minutes if my math is right). very noisy, and tons of flow. probably the biggest problem is the ATO that couldn't decide what to do. My thinking has been I'd have the apex turn off the ATO while surge is active; in your error-state, the controller might think the surge is off, but it's actually on, so the water level might dip low enough to trigger the ATO while the surge is about to start, so I might over-top-off an inch or two's worth of height in the fuge, which is actually a lot of water (probably something like 7-14 gallons of extra ATO if it made up the whole difference as fast as the fuge is filling), or a few percent of system volume.) But, as noisy as this would be, I'm likely to notice. plus I could set the apex to alert me if the ato triggers too much time per hour, or something.

Lastly, you could set the ATO to trigger (with a relatively large pump) at the low point (when the fuge is fullest during surge cycle), but this is only smart if you run the surge all the time, which I won't do...if you were going to, then there's no point in any of this.

My thought with having the skimmer in its own section (and only receiving water via the BA gated siphon pipe) also presumes its water level is the highest in the sump, and that it's high enough the water level won't rise while the surge is filling the return section. Basically, in my 25"-high sump, I'd have a 22" baffle that drains from the skimmer section to the rest of the sump. Put the skimmer on a 16" (assuming 8" depth requirement) stand with only the siphon entering that area. Make sure the rest of the sump can hold the whole surge (plus a little) before getting above the 22" mark. This effectively puts the skimmer in a dedicated zone with constant water level and around 75% of the sump's flow (the amount going through the BA siphon from the DT). If you let the DT's open/emerg pipes go into the skimmer section, the skimmer water level may rise an inch during surge (while the open/emerg are flowing extra).

As for pipe size (expected flow rates in my plan), my current thought is this:

DT: 1.5" siphon (750gph), 2" open (250-3250gph), 3" emergency (0gph)
fuge: 1" siphon (100gph), 2" surge (25-3035gph), 3" emergency (0gph, 1" in-overflow (25gph)

I want to oversize the emergency so nothing can clog it, just peace of mind and over-engineering :)
the weird in-overflow pipe in the fuge is described a couple posts up, but that should carry some surface-skimmed water from the fuge to the sump since the fuge's BA isn't able to be in an overflow box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one note: I have an alternate thought that may be simpler:

I could put a 3000gph submersible pump in the fuge, run its output to a somewhat oversized overflow box in the fuge with a normal BA in that box. the controller can turn on the submersible pump periodically so the fuge's BA is driven into madness. If the fuge's BA can't keep up, the pump is really just filling its own tank, so there's no risk.

Upside: I could make the pump the same model as my return pump so when the return pump dies, I have a spare on hand (just no surge until replacement).

Is this just a way better idea...?

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely use the same pumps dc even better so you can turn them down if needed but backups are always better! sounds pretty sound to me so far 2" removes my concerns for sure!

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed it, but what happens when the power goes out?

Seems like a lot of work to build, and then have to test... I will try to re-read it again.

OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one note: I have an alternate thought that may be simpler:

I could put a 3000gph submersible pump in the fuge, run its output to a somewhat oversized overflow box in the fuge with a normal BA in that box. the controller can turn on the submersible pump periodically so the fuge's BA is driven into madness. If the fuge's BA can't keep up, the pump is really just filling its own tank, so there's no risk.

Upside: I could make the pump the same model as my return pump so when the return pump dies, I have a spare on hand (just no surge until replacement).

Is this just a way better idea...?
I'd probably still need to make some careful barriers around the in-fuge pump to make sure the macro doesn't get into the pump.

Downside to this idea is that there's no point in the elevated fuge. I can do the same thing from the sump direct to the DT as an extra return. Any pod-chewing I would avoid by doing an elevated fuge is wiped out by the fact that the surge goes through the pump. I guess not wiped out, the normal 150gph is still gravity...

OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed it, but what happens when the power goes out?

Seems like a lot of work to build, and then have to test... I will try to re-read it again.
fair enough, my newest adjustment kinda ruined this. I guess I'd need to move the fuge's normal siphon up to near the top of the fuge's water level. this way the fuge won't drain more than an inch or two when the power dies, which would drain into the sump. I guess, as long as the fuge's siphon is above the inlet for the surge inlet, then only the surge's volume could ever drain, even in power-out. By-design, the sump will handle the surge's volume, so I'd be ok

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second thought... with the display tank having to have extra capacity, will you be okay with a low water line in the display?

OP
OP
burningbaal

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second thought... with the display tank having to have extra capacity, will you be okay with a low water line in the display?
I'm hoping there's not much difference here. I'm planning a 4ft weir in the DT, so the extra 3000gph (for one minute) should pretty quickly wash over from the DT into it's overflow and down to the sump...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back