Elevated iron- how much is harmful?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I have elevated iron and I don't know why. I don't have metal clamps etc. All new high end equipment on a 7 month old tank. External pumps and powerheads. The only thing that could be leaching this is my skimmer pump that doesn't appear to have anything visible causing leaching. No cracks etc.

I'm not sure if it could be a contaminate of the salt, or bulk dosing calcium. I haven't needed to dose mg. And since every other element is spot on with the exception of iodine (none), and zero contaminated metals, I can't image it would be passing through my ro/di. City water with 106 tds pre-ro unit, 4 month old filters. I did add an inner capful of "fuel" for a few weeks, but that was at least 2 months ago. Possibly leaching from marine pure. I don't know.

@Randy Holmes-Farley, I read your iron article. You didn't mention specific numbers. Is this a potential problem or could the test be measuring other things bound with it, and do you think could be a concern?

Also I used 1/2 cup iron based gfo for the first two months the tank was cycling, but never since. 10% average weekly water changes since cycled.

IMG_6213.PNG

Last edited:

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find a very rusty powerhead magnet in the fuge. Got rid of it. That was back in March. The Triton test was in early May. The March Triton only showed 5ug/l. I'll be retesting in a week or two to see if levels are dropping. All corals, fish, inverts doing fine.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulurpa in refugium is growing like crazy.
i bet! Lol. Out of curiosity my orp has risen as of recent and I'm wondering if there is a connection. Do you know your orp?

I have a few pieces that could be doing better. Everything else fine. Triton shows nothing but iron and iodine trace. It could just be par for the course. That's what I don't know.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley do you think my iron level is a concern, and could it be elevated from my salt mix itself?

If it's from my salt, water changes won't export it. The only metal object exposed other then probes, ato head, and external pumps is my skimmer pump. So I swapped skimmers with another system after talking it apart and inspecting the impeller area. I don't know if I should chase this issue at this level.. 2.479 hg/l

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bet! Lol. Out of curiosity my orp has risen as of recent and I'm wondering if there is a connection. Do you know your orp?

I have a few pieces that could be doing better. Everything else fine. Triton shows nothing but iron and iodine trace. It could just be par for the course. That's what I don't know.

Scott, I have not measured ORP, so I can't comment.

Bob

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back