Elevated nickel reading from ICP test

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4-5 weeks ago I started to notice burnt tips on acropora, as well as general declining coral health. I ran a bunch of carbon and GFO and things appeared to stabilize for about a week, but then things took a turn for the worse again. I'm seeing bleached parts all over acros and have lost some decent pieces. I decided to get an ICP test done and found the following seemingly major concern: Nickel is at 618.802 ppb - which is over 30x the "High Limit". I've done some web searches and everything suggests to start looking for metal components leeching into the tank.

Is it pretty safe to say this is my problem and I need to find the source ASAP?

The only other red flag was Manganese at 4.324 ppb, only slightly higher than the "High Limit" of 4 ppb.

My other parameters tend to be quite stable: Salinity, Alkalinity, Calcium, Phosphate, Nitrate, and Magnesium

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4-5 weeks ago I started to notice burnt tips on acropora, as well as general declining coral health. I ran a bunch of carbon and GFO and things appeared to stabilize for about a week, but then things took a turn for the worse again. I'm seeing bleached parts all over acros and have lost some decent pieces. I decided to get an ICP test done and found the following seemingly major concern: Nickel is at 618.802 ppb - which is over 30x the "High Limit". I've done some web searches and everything suggests to start looking for metal components leeching into the tank.

Is it pretty safe to say this is my problem and I need to find the source ASAP?

The only other red flag was Manganese at 4.324 ppb, only slightly higher than the "High Limit" of 4 ppb.

My other parameters tend to be quite stable: Salinity, Alkalinity, Calcium, Phosphate, Nitrate, and Magnesium

Which company gave the results? Not all are equally reliable.

Was this your first ICP on this tank?

I do not know if the value is accurate, or if it is "the" problem, but if accurate it is certainly high enough that I'd look to lower it. A metal binder would be a good approach if you cannot find the source.

OP
OP
B

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP-analysis.com

This is the first ICP test on this nearly 3 year old tank, so don’t have a baseline.

Can you suggest a metal binder?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP-analysis.com

This is the first ICP test on this nearly 3 year old tank, so don’t have a baseline.

Can you suggest a metal binder?

I'd be skeptical that it is accurate.

If it were accurate, binders such as polyfilter, metasorb and cupramine may be suitable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back