Elevated Tin in BRS Kalkwasser?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the nice input on kalkwasser and Tin. You are talking about the "purifying " qualities when the kalkwasser is mixed in the container. Does dosing kalkwasser in our tanks also purify the water in let's say Tin or any other unwanted metals? Will it also bind to the crystals made like with phosphate and skimmed out?
This might help by rhf

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx I know the article. And Randy writes:

One interesting aspect of limewater is its ability to self purify before being added to the aquarium. This happens in several ways, but all relate to the fact that most aquarists dissolve it and then let any undissolved solids settle out. Few, if any, of these solids are then dosed to the aquarium. It turns out that these solids can contain many of the impurities that came to the limewater, either in the solid lime, or in the water itself. In a recent article I showed experimentally and theoretically how this process works for a variety of metals, including copper, nickel, and cadmium.

The link to the "recent article" isn't working anymore and there is only mention of the mixing stage in the container .....does this also works when you dose in the aquarium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link to the "recent article" isn't working anymore and there is only mention of the mixing stage in the container .....does this also works when you dose in the aquarium?

Precipitation happens because ofthe high pH of the mixing container. Some may happen locally where limewater hits aquarium water, but that effect is much less.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx I know the article. And Randy writes:

One interesting aspect of limewater is its ability to self purify before being added to the aquarium. This happens in several ways, but all relate to the fact that most aquarists dissolve it and then let any undissolved solids settle out. Few, if any, of these solids are then dosed to the aquarium. It turns out that these solids can contain many of the impurities that came to the limewater, either in the solid lime, or in the water itself. In a recent article I showed experimentally and theoretically how this process works for a variety of metals, including copper, nickel, and cadmium.

Try this

Oh nvm i see Randy got it for you

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitation happens because ofthe high pH of the mixing container. Some may happen locally where limewater hits aquarium water, but that effect is much less.
I am helping 2 other people with keeping sps in their reef tanks. Both tanks had elevated tin. After start dosing kalkwasser for a few weeks their icp tests measured in both cases a tin value of 0 ......

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice of what plastics can cause the issue? What brand/material of tubing should I use?
You can read what I found about tin leaching from plastic tubing here:

In short, I found high levels leaching from braided and non-braided plastic hose from Lowes, as well as from a common green tubing that came with a particular aquarium system I had purchased.

After some research, I found a tubing called TYGON2475 that I concluded to be "tin free" (from discussions with techs from the company) although I never tested it.

Hope this helps.

Back