Eliminate the Ichhhhhhhhh!

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I need some quick advice.

I have 3 display tanks that all got ich. I set up two QTs for my aggressive vs calm fish. They are done with copper and now in a observation tank.

What I need help with is one of the display tanks has nothing in it. No Sand, no rocks, just water and equipment. I also have a bunch of equipment and water containers that i used for water changes and QT. How do I clean the equipment such as wave makers, heaters, hob/canister filters and water containers as they may have traces of ICH. I would like to be able to use the display tank now without waiting 76 days which is a 10 gallon aio. I would like to put my pair of clown in here after taking them out of copper.

Also would like to know how to get copper out of equipment such as heaters. Can i just pop them in the 10 gallons once the ich is going?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have 3 display tanks that all got ich. I set up two QTs for my aggressive vs calm fish. They are done with copper and now in a observation tank.

What I need help with is one of the display tanks has nothing in it. No Sand, no rocks, just water and equipment. I also have a bunch of equipment and water containers that i used for water changes and QT. How do I clean the equipment such as wave makers, heaters, hob/canister filters and water containers as they may have traces of ICH. I would like to be able to use the display tank now without waiting 76 days which is a 10 gallon aio. I would like to put my pair of clown in here after taking them out of copper.

Also would like to know how to get copper out of equipment such as heaters. Can i just pop them in the 10 gallons once the ich is going?
You shouldn't need to do much with heaters except rinse them - though I'm not sure I understand. Was your other tank/and the heater 'dry' - if so you shouldn't have to worry. You can do a shorter fallow period - 45-76 days - especially if you raise the temperature?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First - copper does not strongly adsorb or absorb onto hard surfaces. A simple rinsing in freshwater will remove the copper. Copper DOES absorb into calcareous rocks and sand, those need to be dealt with carefully.

Now - about clearing ich from your bare tank, can you just run freshwater in it for a day and then air dry it? That will handle ich tomonts and even fluke eggs.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't need to do much with heaters except rinse them - though I'm not sure I understand. Was your other tank/and the heater 'dry' - if so you shouldn't have to worry. You can do a shorter fallow period - 45-76 days - especially if you raise the temperature?
The heater has been sitting out for a few days now so it should be fine. The 10 gallon is not dry it still has the water in it. I never saw traces of ich in it but would like to be careful. In my main display I have a ton of corals and inverts. No way I can increase temps to 81 right?

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - copper does not strongly adsorb or absorb onto hard surfaces. A simple rinsing in freshwater will remove the copper. Copper DOES absorb into calcareous rocks and sand, those need to be dealt with carefully.

Now - about clearing ich from your bare tank, can you just run freshwater in it for a day and then air dry it? That will handle ich tomonts and even fluke eggs.

Jay
Ok perfect no sand or rocks so I won’t worry about the copper. I can run fresh water in the tank. I’ll set it up tonight and run it for 24 hours and then drain and maybe sit outside??

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The heater has been sitting out for a few days now so it should be fine. The 10 gallon is not dry it still has the water in it. I never saw traces of ich in it but would like to be careful. In my main display I have a ton of corals and inverts. No way I can increase temps to 81 right?
I wouldn't do it myself - however - Reefs can be much warmer than our tanks. We see our tanks cool to avoid bacterial infection - which thrives at higher temps. Of course certain of our fish/corals thrive at higher and lower temps - depending on the collection depth.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back