Elos 70 upgrade

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

I'm currently in the processes of upgrading my biocube 29 to a fancy Elos tank that I came up on.

I actually paid for it with mostly jawbreakers that my mother has been producing, I got the tank at a steal of 400 bucks out of picket and about 5 small jawbreakers, not bad considering I got the mushroom the size of a pencil eraser 7 months ago.

T
he Elos and the stand are in 9.5 out of 10 condition, the glass on it is amazing, I am really excited to have such a nice looking tank, not a single scratch on it, the previous owner took great care of it. My current biocube was a used tank and has all sorts of scratches on it.

Here is a link to my current biocube thread

Here is the tank as it sits for now, I am currently on hold due to the room that the tank will be going in is awaiting a remodel. The red walls and fake wood are not my idea, previous owners of the house had uh...less than appealing taste.

ElA6LzA.jpg

Equipment will be as follows:

Lighting: Two xr15 pros
Skimmer: SWC 160
Return: Ehime 1260
Controller: Reefkeeper & Reeflink
Flow: 2x mp 10's
Reactors: BRS GFO/Carbon
Rock: 70 LBS of BRS reef saver

Tank came with a Elos Sump and i'm not sure if I want to keep it at this point, I am thinking of just making my own out of a 40 breeder, it would fit nicely under the stand.

I love zoas so i'm thinking of just keeping it a mostly zoa dominated tank, but that could change.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer and return have been cleaned from previous tank and are ready for the new one.

djXntW2.jpg

z5P0QKF.jpg

Here are my current thoughts for the sump, any thoughts or suggestions?

zIVdeEs.jpg

Chknsamich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet upgrade! Where'd you get the Elos? I was told by the studio to not buy second hand Elos... Not sure if that's just a business strategy to make people spend more on new tanks though.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet upgrade! Where'd you get the Elos? I was told by the studio to not buy second hand Elos... Not sure if that's just a business strategy to make people spend more on new tanks though.

I have never heard that before. I was intending on buying a new 60 cube before I came across this elos. I have spent the entire time in the hobby using some one else's 2nd hand tank and I didn't want another used one.

I got the elos from a very well known member of a local reef group who owns several elos tanks. It is was extremely well taken care of.

As for being told not to buy used tanks I imagine that's a business thing, no company is going to tell you to get their used product somewhere cheaper.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its because the warranty does not transfer over. I know their smaller one have a tendency to bust a seal at the 4.5 to 6 year mark.

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure looks a whole lot like my old tank and sump, might be... I sold it to a guy that had another elos tank at the time.

Nice tank, it's very well built. I haven't heard anything about elos 70s blowing seams.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure looks a whole lot like my old tank and sump, might be... I sold it to a guy that had another elos tank at the time.

Nice tank, it's very well built. I haven't heard anything about elos 70s blowing seams.

Did you sell it from JT? Sacramento area?

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a busy weekend, I got tired of looking at the god awful texture and paint in the dining room, coupled with the fact that I couldn't set the tank up untill the room was done and that I had a 3 day weekend I made stuff happen.

Scraping begins, I had done this to my living room already so I knew the process, have to scrape away the texture layer after layer till you get down to the drywall.
oTjiBgZ.jpg

aNZO3Vs.jpg

Pain in the butt and a total mess, I could choke the people that did this.

swciwc1.jpg

sanding smooth and doing a light knockdown texture.

v2xkJw5.jpg

Disaster zone.

PlFAsdG.jpg

Primer.

VQ74iyV.jpg

almost there!

AdbwtHw.jpg

Done!

nH08sJM.jpg

4PAkjZd.jpg

Wife approved location in"her"dining room. Can finally get going on this now that it has a home!

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That red paint reminds me of when I moved into my house. The previous owners painted opposing walls deep red and the adjoining walls a weird yellow. I made sure to paint the walls before we moved in. I don't get why some people want to look at red walls. You did a great job with the dining room.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That red paint reminds me of when I moved into my house. The previous owners painted opposing walls deep red and the adjoining walls a weird yellow. I made sure to paint the walls before we moved in. I don't get why some people want to look at red walls. You did a great job with the dining room.

The living room was baby**** green, I don't know what was worse.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW looking great!

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't like the sump that came with the tank so I ordered a trigger systems 26 sump.

Hard plumbing the tank is looking like more and more of a pain with elos's special plumbing and overflow. Thinking of just going lazy and using tubing.

jokim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!!! I want to change my sump on my 70 good choice. Looking great

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things still left to do:

Figure out plumbing, I ordered a bunch of bulkheads on amazon to see what will fit.
Build a base for the sump to sit on
Install cabinet lighting
aquascape

Back