Ember Blenny Experiences

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to get some thoughts on the Ember Blenny. I really enjoy fish that bring something special to the tank, and have always heard Blennies do that with personality. That being said I love having a pistol and goby combo, and also a Dragonette is a must have in my tank (240Gal).

All that being said I wanted to get thoughts from others on how those 3 inparticular would interact. Also curious about the Ember being a good blenny for what I am wanting. My wife really likes the Ember best, but I know the colors can really vary. I would absolutely be buying it from an LFS so I can see first hand what I am getting. Any thoughts on all this are greatly appreciated.

And feel free to share pics of your Ember or other Blennies

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with Embers in particular but I just picked up a Tail spot Blenny and they do have great personalities.

He will open his mouth at me when im near the tank and he picks micro algae off the sand and rocks all day long. Cool little dudes.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with Embers in particular but I just picked up a Tail spot Blenny and they do have great personalities.

He will open his mouth at me when im near the tank and he picks micro algae off the sand and rocks all day long. Cool little dudes.

I like the Tail spot. Something about how dopey they look I really enjoy.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ember blenny will leave the goby and dragonet alone. But you likely won't be able to add any more fish that perch on rocks, such as hawkfish or other blennies.

Ember blennies are very reclusive the first few weeks. They are also very color variable depending on mood, but periodically putting a mirror against the glass can get a male to show it's best colors.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ember blenny will leave the goby and dragonet alone. But you likely won't be able to add any more fish that perch on rocks, such as hawkfish or other blennies.

Ember blennies are very reclusive the first few weeks. They are also very color variable depending on mood, but periodically putting a mirror against the glass can get a male to show it's best colors.

Thanks for that info. Luckily I am not really interested in a Hawk fish, and may only want the one blenny. Thanks for the top on color as well.

m3p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread.

I purchased 2 from liveaquaria for my 200 gallon deep dimension with 3 distinct rock piles. Both settled in nicely and are grazing and eating frozen food, but now they have become absolute jerks.

I have caught both attacking my new anthias and I have seen fins tattered on other fish so I can only assume it was these guys. Time to pull them out of the reef.

Has anyone else had issues with blennies of this sort attacking other fish?

m3p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - 5 anthias dead. All have bite marks with scales missing/altered. Ember blennies are going to get banished to the sump as soon as I can catch them.

Back