Emerald crab constantly sitting under bubble tip anemone

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m strongly considering kicking this emerald crab back to the LFS to which it came. It’s constantly sitting under my bubble tip anemone and sometimes causing it to draw up. Additionally, when I feed the anemone sometimes the crab will attempt taking the food and it sometimes appears it grabs at the anemone; whether by mistake or on purpose. Either way, this emerald crab has been more trouble than it’s worth. Harasses all my snails. Hasn’t killed one but I don’t consider it a peaceful tank mate.

Not sure if I’m sold on emerald crabs or any crabs for that matter in the future. Is a crabless tank an okay tank?

Look at that jerk!!!

8F867885-D5B6-4AAB-8BCF-8CC1906F148C.jpeg

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank can run without crabs no problem. If you don’t feel like he’s a good citizen in your tank take him back or put him in the sump

Bradley2448

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I about had it with all crabs as well once I got more into coral and nems. So many species of snails out there for different issues these days you won’t miss them

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs use anemone as protection , they are constantly under one of my bubble tips and it hasn’t caused any issues ,, they actually eat the mucus / slime around the anemone to help groom it and defend the anemone (even tho nothing is attacking it lol)

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank can run without crabs no problem. If you don’t feel like he’s a good citizen in your tank take him back or put him in the sump
Tell me more about the sump. Is that safe for the crab? Not sure I care. Lol!

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I about had it with all crabs as well once I got more into coral and nems. So many species of snails out there for different issues these days you won’t miss them
Yeah, I say to heck with them!

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs use anemone as protection , they are constantly under one of my bubble tips and it hasn’t caused any issues ,, they actually eat the mucus / slime around the anemone to help groom it and defend the anemone (even tho nothing is attacking it lol)
Lol!!!! You beat me to it! I was going to say nothings attacking it. LOL!!!! Ugh! I hate to see my anemone drawn all up.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was initially worried about my cleaner scrymps walking up the anenomes foot picking and cleaning as it went. At first, the nem wasn't into that life At All. After maybe a week or two, the scrymp still cleans the nem and the nem doesn't seem to care at all.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!!!! You beat me to it! I was going to say nothings attacking it. LOL!!!! Ugh! I hate to see my anemone drawn all up.
Lol I have an emerald crab and peppermint shrimp in the sump , emerald crab down there just to keep peppermint shrimp not lonely , the peppermint ate tentacles of my nem now that is not friendly! Haha

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was initially worried about my cleaner scrymps walking up the anenomes foot picking and cleaning as it went. At first, the nem wasn't into that life At All. After maybe a week or two, the scrymp still cleans the nem and the nem doesn't seem to care at all.
Cleaner shrimps are my fav , they walk all over my nems and the nems don’t even react anymore lol just used to the abuse

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs and peppermints in our sump - they keep it clean down there. Gotta keep the undercarriage clean not just the pretty parts. Our tank is 2 years old and the sumps are nice and clean even with the ATS growing GHA like crazy which is what it is supposed to do.

Cooter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cooter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E7680B40-56B9-426E-B78C-DE5468BA64D5.jpeg

Having the same experience. My emerald crab has his guard up and has been hanging out with the anemone.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back