Emerald Crab devouring acro

rblackmon89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I literally sat and watched as my emerald crab destroyed about 1/8 of a new acro I got a few days ago.
This wasn’t merely the crab scraping off dead tissue either. This acro had great polyp extension and seemed quite happy. The crab had crushed the skeleton to the point there was an abrupt cliff on both tips of the frag. Needless to say the emerald is in timeout now.
I did some extremely brief digging and couldn’t find too many cases. Just decided to post in case someone else has some random chunks out coral missing and no other culprit was thought of. Fun stuff!

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had this happen more than i can count. i like to think it was a mistake by the crab but after the 4th time (4 different crabs not 4th time by the same crab) it was blatantly ripping polyps off my sps/lps i will never add one to my display ever again. no way.

OP
OP
rblackmon89

rblackmon89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my stepping stone to learn that! I thought it was crazy that this thing was just carving through the skeleton. Good learning experience, and I’m glad I caught it actually happening so I know exactly what was going on...

Reef_Colors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me also. Bought an emerald crab to help with bubble algae, i had mats of it growing everywhere. I put him in and he started with some bubble algae. The next day he was chipping off the top of an acro frag. Sent his a** back to the lfs.

OP
OP
rblackmon89

rblackmon89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fun! They’re such cool critters, so unfortunate. Just for my own knowledge, does the “no crab” rule cover hermits too? Or is that a separate debate on its own?

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing here! Put one in to deal with some bubble algae. 20 minutes later I’m seeing pieces of neon yellows and greens in his claws as he tears apart hunks of my fascination favia. No thanks!

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same here! I just had one do this two weeks ago. She wasn’t in the tank for more than 5 minutes before she started eating my Xenia (which was fine tbh) but it was the chunk of my fox coral that did it for me. She was in time out before I even threw the bag she came in in the trash. :(

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I literally sat and watched as my emerald crab destroyed about 1/8 of a new acro I got a few days ago.
This wasn’t merely the crab scraping off dead tissue either. This acro had great polyp extension and seemed quite happy. The crab had crushed the skeleton to the point there was an abrupt cliff on both tips of the frag. Needless to say the emerald is in timeout now.
I did some extremely brief digging and couldn’t find too many cases. Just decided to post in case someone else has some random chunks out coral missing and no other culprit was thought of. Fun stuff!
Think emerald crab killed 2 gladiator snails 2 weeks ago. Its the only thing in my tank that has strength to have ripped 1 of 2 in half, giving clue to why snails died. BF really really wanted crabs for bubble algae (Vibrant instead was solution).

20+ years ago had tiny lobster kill fish 15 times its size, so didn't want these crabs... now I'm even more worried for my coral babies...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back