Emerald Crabs Eats Skunk Shrimp

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed what looked like my skunk shrimp had molted again. As I was looking for it to verify it had not died, I noticed it was not in its usual spot. My wife located it, and I noticed that my emerald crab was enjoying it for lunch. It is now being devoured by the damsel and emerald crab. I have had cleaner shrimps and emerald crabs and have never seen this behavior. Is this normal? Do I need to feed the emerald crab more? Do people spot-feed emerald crabs?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have a Male Emerald. When they get older, they turn into Carnivores. I’ve had to relocate many to the Sump.

OP
OP
K

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose anything is possible. It looked like it molted as the shell was laying in tge tank and it had a new shell on what was left of the carcass.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp are vulnerable to predation right after a molt - moreso than any other time because they're soft and the shell beneath takes some time to harden up. It's why you sometimes can't find them right before or right after - they've hopefully secreted themselves away into a safe cave to hide until they're done cooking.

Crabs are one of those weird things... they're scavengers but they can be opportunistic.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a small Water Bottle, cut the top off, inverted it in the opening and Hot Glued it together. Put some sand in the bottle to give it some Weight. Put a cube of frozen food in it, used either Emerald Formula or Butterfly Formula. Put it in after the lights were out near where he hung out. First time I caught Three, and only knew about two still existing. The Emerald like Shredding Mushroom Corals, didn’t seem to be eating them, just Shredding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back