Emerald Crabs Eats Skunk Shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter kfries
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kfries

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2023
Messages
174
Reaction score
83
Location
Avon Lake
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed what looked like my skunk shrimp had molted again. As I was looking for it to verify it had not died, I noticed it was not in its usual spot. My wife located it, and I noticed that my emerald crab was enjoying it for lunch. It is now being devoured by the damsel and emerald crab. I have had cleaner shrimps and emerald crabs and have never seen this behavior. Is this normal? Do I need to feed the emerald crab more? Do people spot-feed emerald crabs?
 
You could have a Male Emerald. When they get older, they turn into Carnivores. I’ve had to relocate many to the Sump.
 
I suppose anything is possible. It looked like it molted as the shell was laying in tge tank and it had a new shell on what was left of the carcass.
 
Shrimp are vulnerable to predation right after a molt - moreso than any other time because they're soft and the shell beneath takes some time to harden up. It's why you sometimes can't find them right before or right after - they've hopefully secreted themselves away into a safe cave to hide until they're done cooking.

Crabs are one of those weird things... they're scavengers but they can be opportunistic.
 
Took a small Water Bottle, cut the top off, inverted it in the opening and Hot Glued it together. Put some sand in the bottle to give it some Weight. Put a cube of frozen food in it, used either Emerald Formula or Butterfly Formula. Put it in after the lights were out near where he hung out. First time I caught Three, and only knew about two still existing. The Emerald like Shredding Mushroom Corals, didn’t seem to be eating them, just Shredding.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new