Emerald Crabs Not Reef Safe

bakeman2022

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2024
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Location
idaho
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a cleanup crew about a week ago. It included 3 emerald crabs. They have been doing a fantastic job.
Today, I got an order in with two anemone's - a ritteri and a peppermint.
The peppermint is a sand base anemone so I dug a hole in the sand about 2 inches from the rocks and placed the peppermint into the hole.
As I released the anemone and started moving my hand away, an emerald crab coming shooting out from under the rocks and grabbed the anemone and started pulling it into the rocks. I had to intervene to save the anemone. I then placed the pepperment further away from the rocks. Later that night (after the lights had gone out) I took a flash light to check to see if the pepperment had finished securing itself to the bottom of the tank and sure enough, there was the crab heading towards the pepperment. I quickly pulled out a net and netted him since he was away from the rocks. I started to do some research and I found an old forum here in reef2reef where people talked about emerald crabs pinch off tentacles from bubble tip anemones as well as eating their corals. So I quickly took my flashlight to try to find the other 2 crabs. Sure enough, they were both heading to the top of the rocks where my ritteri had settled in. So I quickly took some tongs and were able to capture both of them before they could interact with the ritteri. I just spent almost 300 bucks on two anemones only to have them harasser and possible killed by $5 crabs. In any case, I thought I would post this so everyone knows to be aware that emerald crabs (IMHO) are NOT reef safe.

I hope this helps other people as they decide on their cleaning crew.

Thank you.
 
That's interesting, I always thought emerald crabs were generally reef safe
 
I will say any crab or shrimp for that matter is reef safe with caution. Obviously some crabs are not reef safe at all. I am talking about the typical "reef safe" options. I have had emerald crabs go rogue same for cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp, peppermint shrimp, sexy shrimp, pitho crabs.
 
I’ve had emerald crabs in most of my 18 years of reefing and have never had a problem. Although, other than rfas , I’ve never kept anemones.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new