Emerald crabs

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the emerald crabs that I got from world wide coral that we’re supposed “reef safe” are killing my turbo snails one by one and has just killed my sand shifting starfish they are hiding in my rocks and it’s seeming impossible to get them out of the tank any suggestions is helpful

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go hermits and conchs and thats it bud. My elegance kills any snail i put besides conch. And yea the emeralds i had literally ate my Pocillopora lil pricks.
I dont trust any crabs lol
I do like arrow crabs thou they B cool haha

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that's crabs being crabs. Hermits are killers too, usually snails for their shells.

Best course of action would be to catch them in a trap. Worst case, borrow an eel for a day :D

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After banning crabs 5 years ago, mysterious coral and invert deaths virtually stopped.

Cut top off water bottle.
Place “food” inside, attached to tiny rock or stone to hold it down. Keep watch, they will smell it.
when he goes inside....pick up bottle...they are not overly fast.
What’s worse was when I did have them, they cleaned up squat.

Seemed they all learned that each day, better food came from the sky. Forget detritus!

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here no crabs only 1 anemone crab the rest cause problems get a fish that is reef safe that eats shellfish there are tons..

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All shrimp? My skunk cleaner has been nothing but entertaining and helpful so far...
Shrimps cause damage to some LPS as collateral damage to them stealing food fed to LPS type corals.
You can broadcast feed, but not directly fed, or you can, but be prepared for some tiny bite marks.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh i mever knew hermits were so bad. I dont use snails thou just scarlet hermits
My jack-o-lantern was eaten and never figured out who oddly i think it was my halloweem hermit

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimps cause damage to some LPS as collateral damage to them stealing food fed to LPS type corals.
You can broadcast feed, but not directly fed, or you can, but be prepared for some tiny bite marks.
I have LPS and I’ve never seen mine do that. I always distract him first though.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back