Emergency 3 fish died last night

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon saltwater tank and last night I had 3 fish die randomly. Two clownfish and a kole tang. They showed no signs of anything on their bodies and we're eating yesterday. I did notice a few spots of ich on my foxface about a week ago but they went away and the entire tank has been eating well and showing no signs of stress. I checked for stray voltage in the tank and didn't find any with my pumps and heater on. I tested my parameters yesterday and they were as follows:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Temp: 78.7⁰ F
Salinity: 1.026
Phosphate: 0.1
Magnesium:. 1350
Calcium: 410 ppm
Alkalinity: 9.5 dKh
pH: 8.3

Any idea what could have killed them? I added a Nero 5 pump over the weekend to upgrade my cheap Amazon pumps but I don't see why that would change anything. I also have a small hippo tang, foxface, firefish, and a melanarus wrasse that all seem mostly normal outside of the foxface, who looks to have a a slight white film on his belly (photo included)
Also did a 25% water change over this past weekend
PXL_20211108_134025698.jpg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon saltwater tank and last night I had 3 fish die randomly. Two clownfish and a kole tang. They showed no signs of anything on their bodies and we're eating yesterday. I did notice a few spots of ich on my foxface about a week ago but they went away and the entire tank has been eating well and showing no signs of stress. I checked for stray voltage in the tank and didn't find any with my pumps and heater on. I tested my parameters yesterday and they were as follows:

Any idea what could have killed them? I added a Nero 5 pump over the weekend to upgrade my cheap Amazon pumps but I don't see why that would change anything. I also have a small hippo tang, foxface, firefish, and a melanarus wrasse that all seem mostly normal outside of the foxface, who looks to have a a slight white film on his belly (photo included)
Wounds or any signs of infection on the bodies? any param swings?

OP
OP
MaverickReef

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All inhabitants eating normal this morning

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it smthg involving your water change.

Was the WC water too cold going in?

Did the SG match the tank going in?

Did you let the mix settle out for a couple of hours before putting into the tank?

Milky/cloudy mix going straight in can cause chemical shock to animals

I'd investigate exactly how your WC happened

OP
OP
MaverickReef

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it smthg involving your water change.

Was the WC water too cold going in?

Did the SG match the tank going in?

Dud you let the mix settle out fir a couple if hours before putting g into the tank?

I'd investigate exactly how your WC happened
Water change was on last Friday, so it's been a few days but I did my normal water change procedure with 78 degree water and let it settle as well so I don't think thats it but it could have been

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change was on last Friday, so it's been a few days but I did my normal water change procedure with 78 degree water and let it settle as well so I don't think thats it but it could have been
Wounds or any signs of infection on the bodies (THE DEAD ONES)? any param swings?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull all fish

refallow tank

only add back qt fish

pass this on to every cycling reef you know to prevent fish wasting. Even clean up crews, corals, are vectors.

source: all pages of the fish disease forum

to not actively exclude fish disease day one is to invite it. Transmissible fish disease is the first suspect, not the last.

future fish will get X if not prepped. I know it sounds bleak but can we get any other takeaway from reading the disease forum for an hour

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were any inverts affected? If soft corals sulk, and some of the CUC have died or disappeared, you may have suffered a small bleaching incident. This happened to me a few months ago when I used a container for a water change that had some bleach residue in it; it wiped out two of three fish in one tank. A telltale smell in the water jug was the only clue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back