[Emergency] Canister Filter latch broke, now 90 gallon doesn't have filtration

asjus212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqua one Aquis Series 2 1250 on a 5ft 90 gallon saltwater tank with a hippo tang, file fish, 3 black mollies and 2 Australian stripy's and a pair of clownfish, 1 of the 4 latchs to seal the canister so that it doesn't leak all over the floor broke when i was re-closing it after taking carbon out, I have a duel sponge filter in the tank atm but don't have the money to buy a new filter at the money, it was $280 Australian, and I was actually saving up to upgrade my tank in 9 months, is this fixable? the latch snapped off though and how long will the fish survive?

This is the filter.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqua one Aquis Series 2 1250 on a 5ft 90 gallon saltwater tank with a hippo tang, file fish, 3 black mollies and 2 Australian stripy's and a pair of clownfish, 1 of the 4 latchs to seal the canister so that it doesn't leak all over the floor broke when i was re-closing it after taking carbon out, I have a duel sponge filter in the tank atm but don't have the money to buy a new filter at the money, it was $280 Australian, and I was actually saving up to upgrade my tank in 9 months, is this fixable? the latch snapped off though and how long will the fish survive?

This is the filter.
Maybe a couple clamps to squeeze the top to the base. Is was thinking of clamps like those pictured below . These type of clamps come in large sizes to open several feet for woodworking projects.

But maybe you don’t need the filter. Does the aquarium contain live rock or sand? A skimmer?

IMG_6416.jpeg

OP
OP
A

asjus212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a couple clamps to squeeze the top to the base. Is was thinking of clamps like those pictured below . These type of clamps come in large sizes to open several feet for woodworking projects.

But maybe you don’t need the filter. Does the aquarium contain live rock or sand? A skimmer?

IMG_6416.jpeg
It contains dry sand and rock so it didn't come with the bacteria but the tank's been running 8 months

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In saltwater (especially reef tanks) biological filtration is in the rocks, so it doesn’t really matter that your canister stopped working. Unless you have very little rock ?

Just aim two powerhead to the surface for oxygenation until you get your filter fixed or buy a new one.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a clamp or a strap would be a solid temporary solution until you’re able to find a permanent one.

I also believe that if you have anyone with a 3D printer around he could probably model and 3D print it quite easily.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....your situation sucks...been there. We have a 40b saltwater, a 13.5 Evo Saltwater, a 125 Cichlid Tank and a 3.5 planted tank.

After about 4 years our 125 tank Freshwater Cannister Filter broke down...and started leaking water......ran air bubbleres for a day or 2, but immediately ordered new Cannister Filter to replace malfunctioning one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back