Best filtration for 125 gallon non drilled fish only

Jeffc1527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a 125 gallon fish tank from aqueon that is not drilled. All of my tanks are not drilled, not that I don't like drilled, its just they seem to be a bit more money. Now all of my current tanks rely heavily on HOB protein skimmers, uv sterilizers, and canister filters. I have wanted to have a sump set up for at least one of my tanks for some time now, but I work with a very limited budget compared to some. For this 125 gallon I would love to go with a sump option but I am unsure if it would be any where close to my price range. I already have a sump just laying around that I picked up awhile ago and I have seen some of the overflow boxes you can get for non drilled aquariums but it seems a lot of the kits have you drill the holes yourself which I am definitely not confident enough to do. My budget on the filter is about $200-300. That does not include protein skimmers or uv sterilizers or any of that, just primary mechanical/ biological filtration. Due to budget constraints I was going to go with a fluval fx4 canister filter to start and then add HOB uv sterilizers and protein skimmers like on my other tanks. I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks. How would you go about with filtration for a 125 with a budget of SAY $300 and a non drilled tank?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110 and a 125 both not drilled.
110 has just been hooked up to a 45gal refugium I'm using a fluval fx6 cannister filter as a return pump. It uses the Eshopps overflow HOB to get the water to the 45 and the canister pumps it back and filters it.

For the 125 I use Shark Pros and a tidal 110 but I think I want to do the same with that tank.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back