!!EMERGENCY!! Electrical shock!

BritVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting an electrical shock when I touch my reef water or the reef metal on my tank. I am trying to ID the faulty equipment by unplugging items of my tank BUT I don't know if I have properly found the faulty item unless I touch the water again and shock myself. Their must be a better way? Help? So far my fish are fine but I can't leave them all night in this distress.

suggestions please!!

180 gallon reef.

Neptune.
You need a grounding probe asap then use an elecical meter to test the water while doing your unpluging research. I had a similar problem got a very slight buzz but found it to be a water heater that had been eaten away by the salt water.
Best of luck stay safe, and always have a spare. If you see the probe tip giving of a fizzy cloud you need to take swift action..

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a grounding probe asap then use an elecical meter to test the water while doing your unpluging research. I had a similar problem got a very slight buzz but found it to be a water heater that had been eaten away by the salt water.
Best of luck stay safe, and always have a spare. If you see the probe tip giving of a fizzy cloud you need to take swift action..

Sticking your hand into a grounded tank of water with current running through it is a really bad idea. A ground probe without GFCI is not a good plan. The small shock you get sticking the hand into an ungrounded tank is nothing compared to what you lay get sticking it into a tank with a ground probe. It is the same situation for livestock....a ground probe without gfci much worse than no ground probe.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticking your hand into a grounded tank of water with current running through it is a really bad idea. A ground probe without GFCI is not a good plan. The small shock you get sticking the hand into an ungrounded tank is nothing compared to what you lay get sticking it into a tank with a ground probe. It is the same situation for livestock....a ground probe without gfci much worse than no ground probe.
I don't buy this. Current will flow the path of least resistance, the ground probe. No different than why your water line is grounded to protect you. Fortunately your resistance is always higher than a ground path.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy this. Current will flow the path of least resistance, the ground probe. No different than why your water line is grounded to protect you. Fortunately your resistance is always higher than a ground path.
You dont have to "buy it", but that is how electricity works. You become part of that grounded and completed circuit in that scenario. That is not a good thing.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to "buy it", but that is how electricity works. You become part of that grounded and completed circuit in that scenario. That is not a good thing.
Actually you do not become the ground path since the ground probe is much lower resistance and will protect you. The path of least resistance, seawater, and the ground probe, not you. That is how electricity works..... Touching a faulty ungrounded light fixture in one hand and the other in the water, now that is a different story.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you do not become the ground path since the ground probe is much lower resistance and will protect you. The path of least resistance, seawater, and the ground probe, not you. That is how electricity works..... Touching a faulty ungrounded light fixture in one hand and the other in the water, now that is a different story.

I never said you would become the ground path i said you become part of a grounded circuit. This will shock you. How badly depends on some other variables like water volume, location of issue and ground probe, etc.

If you need to test it just stick a fork into your grounded electrical outlet. You wont be the ground in that case either...but you are sure as heck going to feel it.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said you would become the ground path i said you become part of a grounded circuit. This will shock you. How badly depends on some other variables like water volume, location of issue and ground probe, etc.

If you need to test it just stick a fork into your grounded electrical outlet. You wont be the ground in that case either...but you are sure as heck going to feel it.
Comparing sticking a fork into an outlet to using a ground probe, come on use some logic at least and basic understanding of electricity. Becoming part of a grounded circuit will not shock you. Touching a faulty light outside the water and this ground will. It is the voltage difference you notice, grounded saltwater with a probe will keep that potential nearly the same throughout due to it's high conductivity.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing sticking a fork into an outlet to using a ground probe, come on use some logic at least and basic understanding of electricity.

Clearly i have a much more thorough understanding than you. In either scenario you have a grounded electrical circuit that you are putting yourself in the middle of. That leads to getting shocked. This is pretty basic stuff. Now in an aquarium the shock will be less severe due to differences in conductivity vs copper wire, but can be a significant shock anyway depending on other factors.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you! I found the fault the heater. I will get a volt ometer tomorrow. Testing that I have this right using my hand was horrible!
Thats what I thought. Go titanium. . .. Has never failed me over 3 decades of using them

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing sticking a fork into an outlet to using a ground probe, come on use some logic at least and basic understanding of electricity.

Clearly i have a much more thorough understanding than you. In either scenario you have a grounded electrical circuit that you are putting yourself in the middle of. That leads to getting shocked. This is pretty basic stuff. Now in an aquarium the shock will be less severe due to differences in conductivity vs copper wire, but can be a significant shock anyway depending on other factors.
Better do some reading up on the subject to enlighten on the "basics":

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better do some reading up on the subject to enlighten on the "basics":

Haha actually already read it. If you would bother to read the whole thread you might realize it is you who has something to learn. Many(very correctly) pointed out some key points the OP missed in relation to ground probes and the fact that a ground probe in itself does not eliminate getting shocked.

Throw some current into your tank with a ground probe and you can use a voltmeter to measure and see current is flowing through the water.

If we just posting stuff from random people i actually find this one much more useful as it accurately describes the various combinations of ground probe and gfci and the imlication of each.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys., settle down...breathe for a hot minute. Are either of you electricians? Maybe you are or aren't.... I am for 25 years plus, and I'd like to think a darn good one. Both points are pretty much valid. Ground probe in and working wearing some insulated shoes? You probably good. Working in socks or barefoot? I don't care what probe you have and how well connected, you are getting a wallop. The path of least resistance isn't decided at that point by some equation. It can actually hit both paths. You both realize this right? I've seen it....when it goes, look out....

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys., settle down...breathe for a hot minute. Are either of you electricians? Maybe you are or aren't.... I am for 25 years plus, and I'd like to think a darn good one. Both points are pretty much valid. Ground probe in and working wearing some insulated shoes? You probably good. Working in socks or barefoot? I don't care what probe you have and how well connected, you are getting a wallop. The path of least resistance isn't decided at that point by some equation. It can actually hit both paths. You both realize this right? I've seen it....when it goes, look out....

That is basically what i was saying. You are inserting yourself into the a grounded circuit. How bad the shock is is going to be havs a lot of factors but the point is you will be part of that circuit and in some cases can get a significant shock. A ground probe without gfci is not safe was my original point and i stick with it and dont believe i need to be an electrician to know that.

For the record no i freely admit i am not an electrician. I learned about this the hard way almost 30 years ago.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is basically what i was saying. You are inserting yourself into the a grounded circuit. How bad the shock is is going to be havs a lot of factors but the point is you will be part of that circuit and in some cases can get a significant shock. A ground probe without gfci is not safe was my original point and i stick with it and dont believe i need to be an electrician to know that.

For the record no i freely admit i am not an electrician. I learned about this the hard way almost 30 years ago.
Yes I would never run a probe without GFCI.....not a chance in.....you get it....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back