EMERGENCY, going on holiday tommorow and ran out of declorinator

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm going on a 4 day holiday and I'm driving there at 9:30am tommorow. Its night time in Sydney right now, and my lfs opens at 10. My neighbour who has never kept fish is coming to feed them, I put food in ziplock bags so she doesn't over feed them. Are there any alternatives, its 9:00pm in sydney currently, so I can't go to my lfs now. What should I do?! I ran out halfway between a 50% water change, my aquariums only 60% filled up. Any help would be appreciated

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming this is for a freshwater tank? Do you have chloramines, or just chlorine? Can you let the water sit out w/charcoal in it overnight to off-gas before use? You would have to remineralize RO, not use it straight. Or just pay the sitter extra to pick some dechlorinator up for you and finish the job.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming this is for a freshwater tank? Do you have chloramines, or just chlorine? Can you let the water sit out w/charcoal in it overnight to off-gas before use? You would have to remineralize RO, not use it straight. Or just pay the sitter extra to pick some dechlorinator up for you and finish the job.
If I can't use my kitchen filter I will do one of those options Thanks!

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Wait, I have a tapwater filter in my kitchen. Would that work?
Are you using dechlorinated tap for a freshwater or saltwater tank? You would need to look up the manufacturer of the filter to see what it removes, but that would at least let you skip the carbon. I would still let it sit out overnight to be safe.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using dechlorinated tap for a freshwater or saltwater tank? You would need to look up the manufacturer of the filter to see what it removes, but that would at least let you skip the carbon. I would still let it sit out overnight to be safe.
Ok! Sounds good. Thanks!

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my fish are going great! Thanks. I'll do that same thing until I get more declorinator

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back