Snails running out of food?

Jeroen1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased snails and to my amazement they stripped everything almost clean in two days..
So now I'm lokking for tips on keeping them feeded. How do you peeps go about that?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in this as well! I have not bought many yet, as I have not turned on my lights yet, but I do worry that because of this, when I get a CUC and turn lights on my CUC will not have much to eat

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many did you add and for what size tank, and how old is your tank? I only add a few snails at a time, as needed, I buy more as notice more algae.

I find there is a misconception that clean up crew should be added to a tank in abundance as soon as its finished cycling, but then they often die of hunger.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many did you add and for what size tank, and how old is your tank? I only add a few snails at a time, as needed, I buy more as notice more algae.

I find there is a misconception that clean up crew should be added to a tank in abundance as soon as its finished cycling, but then they often die of hunger.
I agree. With everything I have researched, CUC should be built up slowly, I want to avoid as much of the “ugly” phase as possible, that is why I am leaving my lights off for the 1st 3 months. Then slowly build my CUC. Iif you actually add the “recommended “ CUC by tank size, it will be WAY TOO MUCH,

OP
OP
J

Jeroen1975

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I added a lot of baby trochus about two weeks ago, and recently 2 turbo's, a scutus unguis, another mithrax (they are teaming up, ) and two of those spiny shell snails. But since the turbo's everything is clean and sedentary snails that were allready in there (two trochus) are starting to move to the rockwork again. Oh... it's about 20 gallons and runnig about 4/5 months.. I'm not trying to add as mi h as I can but I think animals are cool to have so. They are a bit more of an inpact than I suspected though so now I thinking.... dirtying up the tank or placing a rock with nori every week or.... trying to find a baseline I guess.

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All cuc/ clean up crew works for you in regards to your aquarium. If you have algae problems or other these will help you in the long run especially glass.
You can supplement with algae wafers, crab cuisine pellets, nori also but it gets Messy.
You could cause algae to grow if your happy to deal with consequences by turning your white lights up more but it's your aquarium.

For reference I have multiple snails species along with tuxedo urchin so I provide algae via light to feed., it takes along time to fine tune algae growth

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back