Snails dying constantly

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 that has been up for about 1.5 years. Everything is flourishing, yet snails continue to slowly die. I quarantined 5 turbos and introduced to my DT 2 weeks ago. They did clean well for a few days, but since they have been falling off everywhere and barely are moving now. They have plenty to eat, there is a lot of turf and other misc algaes they can get to. I have also noticed my nass snails are pretty much all empty shells now. I used to also have an absolute butt load of stomatella snails and now I rarely see them.

I have read that turbos dont make it long in our tanks due to temp, but this was only a few weeks after quarantine for 4.

Alk: 8.3
Calc: 425
Mag: 1350
Phos: rarely above .02
Nitrate: 0 (but chaeto and DT algaes still growing decently)
Salinity: 1.026
These values have been very stable for the entire tank.

I will say they were perfectly fine in the quarantine, so assume something is off on my DT. ICP tests are typical (some traces low, but no pollutants to note)

Last edited:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there plenty of food for them sometime they starve to death or like above says something eating them.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had die off of new snails, esp trochus at first. Also some turbos seem to live for a few years others seem short lived. I’ve have not been able to nail any reliable conclusions other than so called “checkered turbos” and “top spiraled” snails seem to live longer… not 100% sure tho

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and a half ago I started noticing empty bumblebee snail shells and then caught a whelk snail red handed eating one. Keep an eye out as they tend to be nocturnal.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwhat r you feeding them the snails in qt?

I wonder if they are starving in qt and get food to late.

The other is there something in qt that is slowly killing them and they finally die in the DT.

OP
OP
M

mginster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and a half ago I started noticing empty bumblebee snail shells and then caught a whelk snail red handed eating one. Keep an eye out as they tend to be nocturnal.

I do have bumblebee type ones, very very small and always find them sitting on the end of a vermitid.
Iwhat r you feeding them the snails in qt?

I wonder if they are starving in qt and get food to late.

The other is there something in qt that is slowly killing them and they finally die in the DT.

I feel nori rubber banded to a rock.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back