Emergency! Waterbox 230

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few months of running, tonight I noticed a minor drip-leak between the overflow pipe in the overflow box and where it connects under the tank. After an attempt to tighten this up it is now a major leak. If I even touch the overflow pipe above or below it gushes water at the joint.

I can't tighten it up from either the top or the bottom. If I tighten it from the top it goes so far and I can't spin it anymore. Tighten it from the bottom I have to take the valve off, but then all it does is spin freely. My guess is that someone has to hold it from the top and someone has spin it from underneath, or vice-verva.

Problem is that I'm alone this weekend and have nobody to help me do this.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you fix it?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble visualizing without a picture but could you use channel lock pliers to grip from above and have them wedge against the wall of the overflow box? You could use a few rubber bands to hold them right against the nut or pipe

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off all pumps drain the water in the overflow box remove the pipes and bulkheads clean the seals and mating surface of the glass and reassemble. This happened to me and got worse when I tightened it I now add silicon on the glass and in-between the rubber gasket and bulk head haven't had an issue ever since

OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off all pumps drain the water in the overflow box remove the pipes and bulkheads clean the seals and mating surface of the glass and reassemble. This happened to me and got worse when I tightened it I now add silicon on the glass and in-between the rubber gasket and bulk head haven't had an issue ever since
That sounds like a good idea. I just don't think I can get to the bottom of the overflow box.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to turn off the return and the tank will drain to the bottom of the grates. Then use a shop vac to empty the overflow chamber

Then wedge vice grips or Chanel locks to the thing in the overflow box. They will be too long to allow rotation and will wedge against a wall. Then regrease and tighten

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures. Unfortunately that is the only way to get it to permanently stop. If it's bad and you need to wait for help move your heater to the display and drain the water so it's below the overflow and just run the wave makers and heater in the display until you can fix it properly

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pictures. Unfortunately that is the only way to get it to permanently stop. If it's bad and you need to wait for help move your heater to the display and drain the water so it's below the overflow and just run the wave makers and heater in the display until you can fix it properly
I think this is the tank

Attachments

• D761CC8D-F32E-4118-AD18-27562433878C.png
    D761CC8D-F32E-4118-AD18-27562433878C.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem seems to be corrected. I didn't want to take apart the plumbing but had no choice. I unscrewed everything but the emergency overflow pipe.

When I took out the main standpipe, the gasket was gone. Not in the overflow or on the end of the pipe. It absolutely was on there when first installed because I remember taping it on the bottom so it wouldn't fall off.

Anyway, I didn't have another gasket. What I did have was a gasket for one of my older RODI filter chambers, yet it didn't fit.

I put that gasket into boiling water and eventually was able to muscle it onto the end and work it up the pipe. I also put some plumbers tape on there even though that didn't have anything to do with the leak.

Then I had a very lucky twist from the bottom to get it threaded on my first attempt. This took forever the first time, but it could be that it had a gasket on it this time as opposed to the previous time (even though it was definitely on there the first time...definitely).

Hooked up the hose for the filter roller and re-did the return plumbing.

No leaks. Just some water on the floor where it was leaking before. Good thing I just washed a bunch of towels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back