EMERGENCY

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to know is to test your water tomorrow to see if you have ammonia or nitrites.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let’s get this straight... you set the tank up yesterday, added all that stuff, dosed medicine cause of itch and this is all in a 10 gallon tank? I can barely fit my two clownfish in a 10 gallon for qt and you have a whole load of stuff going on. I’d also recommend trying to take the whole thing one step at a time and start from square one. The tank should have been cycled or atleast had some sort of biospira or something to get stuff started before anything was added. I don’t think there is a reef safe ich medicine and if one fish has ich they mostly all do, and if not it’s atleast in the water / on the snails / corals. The best bet would be to probably remove everything into something, catch the fish, treat them either With copper and or do a ttm found in the disease section of the forum and then from there keep the inverts and stuff away / have the tank fallow for 76 days to make sure no ich is there.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annelise, I think you have done a remarkably good job so far. Never mind the coulda, woulda, shouldas, everyone has an opinion - including me - but its your show. So far so good.

The nitromersol is a metabolic poison - it takes time for the exposure to manifest - you might not see the damage for a few days. I suggest getting everything, but especially the inverts and corals out of it as soon as you can.

OP
OP
A

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let’s get this straight... you set the tank up yesterday, added all that stuff, dosed medicine cause of itch and this is all in a 10 gallon tank? I can barely fit my two clownfish in a 10 gallon for qt and you have a whole load of stuff going on. I’d also recommend trying to take the whole thing one step at a time and start from square one. The tank should have been cycled or atleast had some sort of biospira or something to get stuff started before anything was added. I don’t think there is a reef safe ich medicine and if one fish has ich they mostly all do, and if not it’s atleast in the water / on the snails / corals. The best bet would be to probably remove everything into something, catch the fish, treat them either With copper and or do a ttm found in the disease section of the forum and then from there keep the inverts and stuff away / have the tank fallow for 76 days to make sure no ich is there.
No no no, ha. I promise I am patient! I've had this 10g for 8 months, it was running wonderfully until I stupidly and accidentally dosed the ick remedy when I saw the ick on the new 6line wrase at 3 in the morning! :( I have been planning to upgrade my tank just for the fish for a while now (they are both very small juveniles and are doing just fine in the 10g right now). I bought a 30g tank yesterday (before I accidentally dosed the ick remedy) and put the saltwater in it, planning to cycle it fully. Then after reading what everyone has to say here, researching and talking to about 7 local experts along with 3 lfs I decided skipping the cycle on the 30g would be their best bet at survival. Today I went and got established live rock and live sand for the 30g. I put some of the biomedia from the 10g into the 30g, so I would like to think that there is some pretty established bacteria for the time being. I'm planning on keeping the 6 line in the 10g till his ick is gone and using it at a QT after. I'm sorry I didn't make this more clear before. Also, Thank you robert, that is very encouraging!!

OP
OP
A

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
Alright all!!! Here's where we are right now, and I must say, I'm a bit surprised!!! First picture: Top left sample: thats TOTAL ammonia. It's higher than I'd like it to be, but with the addition if cheato algae tomorrow along with probably some bottled bacteria I honestly think it will be alright.. especially if I don't add the fish until the ick is gone! top right it free ammonia. Its around .007. Middle sample is the PH. WOW It's already nearing 8.2!!! Bottom left is alkalinity. I put 10 drops in before the water turned yellow, which means its at 5. a little lower, but will come up soon, i think. Bottom right is the nitrite and nitrate, the kit I have has them sampled in the same thing, but there is another product added after I measure the Nitrite. Nitrite was <.005 and Nitrate was about 1.5. Also, salinity is 1.024, and the 10g is 1.025, so that shouldn't be too bad of a difference right?? And Temps are both hovering around 80 degrees. The other pictures are of the build, which will probably contain more dry rock in the future. The last one is the night mode on the light I have just for fun, lol ( I actually have two on here, janky I know but it works better than spending the extra $100!) So in my opinion, I think it might be ready for the corals??????? What do you all think???? I'm not moving anything till I get answers, lol! And once I am moving them, I plan on moving all the inverts only, and keeping the fish for QT. Should I drip acclimate? I assume yes but just checking.

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

jordan be

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go ahead since they’ve already been in the contaminated water for so long. I wouldn’t ‘drip’ acclimate, do more of a ‘trickle’ acclimate and make sure temp and salinity are the same. Your inverts will hopefully survive, as well as the fish, if they get through the ammonia.

OP
OP
A

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s today’s parameters. Nitrogen cycle going okay?
Salinity: 1.024
Ph: 8.1
Free ammonia: 0
Total ammonia: .08
Nitrite: .05
Nitrate: 6
Alkalinity: 5

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annelise, I think you have done a remarkably good job so far. Never mind the coulda, woulda, shouldas, everyone has an opinion - including me - but its your show. So far so good.

The nitromersol is a metabolic poison - it takes time for the exposure to manifest - you might not see the damage for a few days. I suggest getting everything, but especially the inverts and corals out of it as soon as you can.

+1 100%

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I went to my lfs, and they had a lot of live rock that is already cycled and I also got live sand. Just put everything in the tank and waiting for the water to clear up. I put a good portion if my biomedia from the 10g in the 30g so I have that established bacteria as well, and it's all plastic. I also put activated charcoal in. The LR from my lfs is mined, then treated, from there they put it in a bacteria heavy system and wait for the LR to turn purple (The good purple algae, I forget what its called). They they cycle the rock again, and send it to my LFS where he puts all the rock in his system that he put ll the coral frags in (which has a good amount of fish, inverts, etc) So its very established rock, and I got 12lbs of it, and another 8lbs of dry rock to build up the rock work. I also put a very small amount of already decayed mysis shrimp (about enough to fit on the head of a dime) so the bacteria has something to eat before the fish are in there. How does this sound to you guys?? thoughts concerns?? Temp and salinity are the same in both 30g and 10g. about to test everything else to see where it stands. About to put a PH buffer in as well.

This sounds positive. Would your LFS keep your critters for you until you are completely safe? (nitrogen process wise?)

Many LFS' do have LR which is colored 'purple' but not naturally so we have to be sure it is cured and true.

Fingers crossed for you and the critters.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say go ahead since they’ve already been in the contaminated water for so long. I wouldn’t ‘drip’ acclimate, do more of a ‘trickle’ acclimate and make sure temp and salinity are the same. Your inverts will hopefully survive, as well as the fish, if they get through the ammonia.

and do it soon. You are moving them from an environment where you know they will die to an environment where they have a chance to survive. I would prepare for daily 30 to 40% water changes in the new system.

OP
OP
A

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is coralline algae, the owners are friends of mine, but they can’t keep my animals there ☹️ they don’t have a light for the corals that isn’t in their huge frag tank, plus they’re over an hour away. But, I don’t know if I will have to find another place for them, everything is doing extremely well! The frogspawn is more full than its ever been and the hermits and snails are doing fantastic! I’m dosing “seed bacteria” daily and feeding 2 times a week.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s today’s parameters. Nitrogen cycle going okay?
Salinity: 1.024
Ph: 8.1
Free ammonia: 0
Total ammonia: .08
Nitrite: .05
Nitrate: 6
Alkalinity: 5

Ammonia should be 0, as should Nitrite be, this isn't much, but it's something of a reading, the cycle seems to be going well though, since you're cycling your 30gallon tank I'd add the food, that you'd give to 1 small fish, on a daily basis, just to keep the bacterial colony growing.

When you're through the cycle do not add all fish at once, it'll give you a mini cycle, instead add them over multiple days.

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the ammonia as sometimes the live sand bags will actually increase ammonia in an attempt to kick-start the cycle

OP
OP
A

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here’s another update. Tank is completely cycled and I added two extra fish! NO casualties from the 10g to 30g. Man am I lucky, lol. I did loose a hermit, but that’s cause another hermit wanted his shell, lol. Everything is doing better than its ever been!!! Thank yo I everyone for all your help! I’ll add pics in the am :)

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here’s another update. Tank is completely cycled and I added two extra fish! NO casualties from the 10g to 30g. Man am I lucky, lol. I did loose a hermit, but that’s cause another hermit wanted his shell, lol. Everything is doing better than its ever been!!! Thank yo I everyone for all your help! I’ll add pics in the am :)

It's great to hear that, keep on reefing! :)

OP
OP
A

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So incase anyone was interested, I've had this tank running since day one with zero casualties.. Almost fully stocked, still waiting on adding my last addition :) Coral is exploding, and the tank is thriving. I would like to think I've been pretty blessed in this situation. This photo was taken right after the lights came on this morning so nothing was opened up yet :)

IMG_4929.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back