EMERGENCY

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY aquarium is 225 gallons and the phospahates were 0.01 before i accidently dosed 6 tablespoons of Monosodium phosphate ... i way overdosed my aquarium with phosphate and checked with Hanna, water is blue and reads .90 and flashes after 3 minutes.... I have used a bottle of phospahate RX and 24 hrs later it still reads .90 and is blue and still flashing... i am about to do a 50% water change... hope my LPS and fish don't all die on me...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt your fish are going to notice a change in PO4. I don't know about the monosodium part though as I use a different compound for PO4.

Dosing too much LC on the other hand could be stressful -- or at least that has been said here many times. Nothing good happens fast, so take your time.

If your LPS haven't already closed up, they will probably do fine as well.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt your fish are going to notice a change in PO4. I don't know about the monosodium part though as I use a different compound for PO4.

Dosing too much LC on the other hand could be stressful -- or at least that has been said here many times. Nothing good happens fast, so take your time.

If your LPS haven't already closed up, they will probably do fine as well.
all the LPS are closed.. thanks for input. I will just keep doing water changes daily till phospahte level is where i want it.. ABOUT 0.15

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the LPS are closed.. thanks for input. I will just keep doing water changes daily till phospahte level is where i want it.. ABOUT 0.15

WCs will help to a point. Much of the PO4 is binding to your rock and substrate. If you are an accomplished user of LC then great; carry on. GFO is a little more forgiving.

In any case: order some more Hanna reagent right away! Lastly, if you see the sample turn blue, you know you are still above .3 or so and can skip the rest of the test procedure.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, i did check salinity... not any changes really, went from 34.1 to 34.2
Makes sense. Good to be sure, but that amount of salt in that much water volume should be a no issue.
Someone else here within the last week or so did something similar, no mass disaster yet but I don’t remember the specifics.
You can dilute your sample with fresh salt water to get an estimate of the actual value if you’re curious.

I’ll echo what others have said, don’t do anything sudden or brash. I’d do the largest water change you are comfortable with conducting safely (water premixed, temperature matched, Alk the same, etc.). Repeat as needed, and have lots of test reagent on hand.

LC will get it back down in time, just don’t overdose it. If you’re used to running low nitrate values keep an eye on that to make sure it doesn’t hit zero. Dose KNO3, etc. as needed.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back