Emperor Angel: #1 veggie eater.........by a WIDE margin

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's a pretty bold sub-adult. Definitely my favorite fish as well as others who've come to visit. I never fed him any veggies or nori while he's in the QT for a month where he'd eat anything( flakes, pellets, and frozen). Once in the DT he quickly learned to eat Yu Choy( a Chinese veggie) from the 2 veggie clips. When I'm putting the leaves on he gets excited and would come as close to me as possible, while all the tangs( Yellow, Hippo, and Powder Blue) and dwarf angels would stay at a distance.

Once the veggie clips are in place, he'd "station" himself like eating at a table, tearing off big chunks, while the tangs would only come and take small bites and then swim off. Before I introduced him the 2 leaves of Yu Choy would last for a few hours but now gone in 10 minutes! I estimated he eats 5 times more than all my tangs "combined"! He's been like that for 2 weeks. Wonder if he'll be the same when he becomes an adult............

emp a.jpg

Last edited:

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great to hear. Mine will not touch nori. If you haven’t already, try soaking the veggi and nori in vitamins prior to feeding. May help with your Emperor achieving it full color potential. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great to hear. Mine will not touch nori. If you haven’t already, try soaking the veggi and nori in vitamins prior to feeding. May help with your Emperor achieving it full color potential. Good luck with it.

Vitamin for fish color? For health may be but for "color" fish need ingredients like krill, Chlorella algae, Spirulina algae, and brine shrimp. For me the key is to feed a "variety" of food for a balanced diet. Dry foods contain all kinds of vitamins most also contain fish oil( so I don't believe additional fish oil is needed). Of course their diet includes New Life Spectrum pellets( which he likes) to ensure good color. All my fish have been healthy with great color.

Also, another key for good color is water quality. If the water is not good fish will hide more and feed less. Those fish will never show "full bright color".

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added vitamins are entirely unnecessary if you are feeding a varied diet - maybe makes the human feel better. Emperor is a terrific fish. I got mine with adult clothes already, and it’s a voracious eater. Not more than the tangs, but right there with them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back