emperor angel w/ butterflies and dwarf angels?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go FOWLR (275 gallons) and thinking of getting an emperor but I have a copperband and longnose that I don't want to get bullied and a bicolor and flame. The flame is the dominant tank fish now and the emperor would be as big or bigger. Anyone had trouble with these together?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Decided to go FOWLR (275 gallons) and thinking of getting an emperor but I have a copperband and longnose that I don't want to get bullied and a bicolor and flame. The flame is the dominant tank fish now and the emperor would be as big or bigger. Anyone had trouble with these together?
Ive had them in the past with butterflies and no issues. Depends on their overall temperament with dwarf angels which I would not chance

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had them in the past with butterflies and no issues. Depends on their overall temperament with dwarf angels which I would not chance
Could OP do a juvenile? Would that make a difference at all how it would be with the flame?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Could OP do a juvenile? Would that make a difference at all how it would be with the flame?
Remember, they grow as does their temper as they mature

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions?

I suspect it will be fine.
3' 6 x 5' 6 x 30" tall. I figured the bicolor will stay clear of the emperor like he does the flame but the flame may fight with it when its the same size as a juvenile emp. Maybe when the flame is gone.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3' 6 x 5' 6 x 30" tall. I figured the bicolor will stay clear of the emperor like he does the flame but the flame may fight with it when it’s the same size as a juvenile emp. Maybe when the flame is gone.
Large angels tend to ignore Dwarf Angels. There is sometimes bickering during the settling in stage however once one is shown to be the big boss, they will usually get along together.
Emperors aren’t usually bullies but will intervene when someone is out of line.

I’ve not attempted an imperator yet but I have mixed angels, specifically my Regal, Coral Beauty and Navarchus. The Regal was in first around a year ago now, she was about 3-4” and was the only angel. Her introduction was fairly easy and simple.
IMG_8079.jpeg

Then, in March/April I picked up a Navarchus angel, this girl was going to be more risky as I had a ‘large’ angel established and wanted to add another ‘large’ angel. I added the Navarchus and, as expected I noticed some bickering over territory - I was surprised when it was mainly the Navarchus that started it. But 2 days later, peace was restored and these two were completely fine with eachother. Bickering I noticed was more so chasing and then once round a corner and out of sight, they were fine.
IMG_8077.jpeg

Then, the last Angel I added was in June/July time. This was my Coral Beauty (Specifically a tiger tail). One issue I noticed was that he was a male (as seen by the pointed fins). This was a risk as my Regal had been boss Angel for a while so I was unsure if she was going to accept a similarly sized dwarf angelfish into her home. Now, there was slightly more bickering between both of them (the Navarchus was mainly ignored, but there was minimal bickering if they did come into eachother’s sight). I mainly noticed nipping and chasing but again, once out of the line of sight they did go back into peace. Eventually (around 3-4 days) they settled down, now yes every so often I still noticed the regal and coral beauty bickering but it’s not as severe as it was.
IMG_7935.jpeg

So, if I’m honest you shouldn’t have much of an issue with a flame and emperor considering as juveniles they are calm but will hold their own.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have good places to hide and fully get out of sight... and you are feeding them well enough to be growing, I have found Emperors to be very good tankmates and not aggressive at all.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the emporer is all about being the king, I don't think they will see them as a threat.

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same experience with @i cant think i Started my 210 from biocube transfer of flameback angel and got a juvenile emperor and they ignored each other from the start and still ignore each other.
Mines a flame angel. Pretty beefy and mean so not sure how it would react to a juvenile emp of the same size.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of people have large tanks filled with angels. It can be tricky but it’s done successfully enough that it’s more than possible.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My juvenile Emperor beat up my two butterflys ,my blue face angel, my purple tang and my yellow tang. had to take him out. The tank is a 210

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that large angles and dwarf angels where "ok" to mix? IDK you have more experience what that than I do, so i could be completely wrong.
My juvenile Emperor beat up my two butterflys ,my blue face angel, my purple tang and my yellow tang. had to take him out. The tank is a 210
man that sucks. kinda thinking of soome of the same fish, when did the aggression start?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back