Emperor Angelfish ICH

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I have diagnosed my Emperor Angelfish with ICH. All I can see right now on him is 2 spots I dosed the tank with Kordon Copper-Aid. I also have Kordon Rid ICH as well. I was wondering if I should dose that too at the same time as the copper? Also how often should I Dose the copper the bottle doesn’t really mention that. More information I have him in a QT tank with a Bluespine Unicorn Tang.

image.jpg

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper doesn’t dissipate so you shouldn’t need to dose again, but you need a reliable way to measure the copper level. It’s a toxic substance; too little won’t stop the ich, too much can kill. I recommend a Hanna copper checker because other tests can be inaccurate or hard to read. I’m not familiar with copper-aid, but does the bottle have a suggested dosage in parts-per-million?

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it just says to use one teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. Would I be able to treat with general cure at the same time while using copper for internal parasites? And could I also use Rid ICH at the same time there is no copper in that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use Rid-Ich at the same time as copper, they are both stressful to the fish and in combination might cause problems.

Can you get another picture of the fish, one without salt spots on the glass? I can't see past them (grin). I think I see two spots on the fish - one on the big stripe above and back from the eye, and one on the anal fin. Neither of those are ich, too large. Emperor angels are prone to Lymphocystis (needs no treatment) Ich (needs copper) and flukes (need praziquantel). The ich will kill a fish long before they die from flukes, so it is generally advised to treat with copper first, then prazi.

Jay

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use Rid-Ich at the same time as copper, they are both stressful to the fish and in combination might cause problems.

Can you get another picture of the fish, one without salt spots on the glass? I can't see past them (grin). I think I see two spots on the fish - one on the big stripe above and back from the eye, and one on the anal fin. Neither of those are ich, too large. Emperor angels are prone to Lymphocystis (needs no treatment) Ich (needs copper) and flukes (need praziquantel). The ich will kill a fish long before they die from flukes, so it is generally advised to treat with copper first, then prazi.

Jay
He is currently in hiding in a PVC pipe. I have another thread with a tone of pictures of him on there and some videos. When he comes out I can get more pictures of him. I just did a 50% water change. I fed him today and he is still eating like a pig. I am going to start treatment with rid ich because I have no way to get my hands on a Hannah tester. He does have a big red bump on the side of his body which I have pictures of in my other thread. Thank you for helping me with this. The only white spots I have seen on him so far are the ones on his last fin. I believe anal fin. I am watching very closely for more.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do a water change, remember that you have to mix more copper in the water, and I mean in the bucket. If you dump untreated water in there, you start the clock over again.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With copper you do need to be able to test it accurately. For example my 20 gallon long QT tank actually holds 16 gallons. Copper is toxic to fish, so if you add too much you could cause permanent harm, even death. If you dose too little you might slow the ich down to the point it is not visible but the fish would still be infected. With copper you do not want to mix a lot of other medications.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With copper you do need to be able to test it accurately. For example my 20 gallon long QT tank actually holds 16 gallons. Copper is toxic to fish, so if you add too much you could cause permanent harm, even death. If you dose too little you might slow the ich down to the point it is not visible but the fish would still be infected. With copper you do not want to mix a lot of other medications.
I don’t know if I am going to continue with copper I might just use Rid Ich is that not a bad idea?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is fine to use, and effective, just have to be able to monitor levels. I have no experience with Rid Ich, doing a quick search shows the ingredients being formalin and chloride salts. I don't know how effective that would really be against ich.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I am going to continue with copper I might just use Rid Ich is that not a bad idea?
Copper is far more effective at killing ich than the alternatives. I note that even Kordon’s product page makes it a point to write that Rid Ich “controls” ich, as opposed to “killing” or “eliminating” it.

I would just recommend using chelated copper products, like Copper Power, as opposed to ionic copper, because they are considerably less toxic to the fish while still proving effective against the parasite.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not had good success treating marine ich with Rid Ich, although it works well for FW ich.
Jay

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I can test the copper levels is with the API test kits. I don’t have access to the Hanna ones.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using API’s and wanted to throw it against the wall. I had a Hanna overnighted from LiveAquaria immediately. The API test is a pain in the butt to read and, most importantly, read accurately.
Hmmm I just realized I have all the materials for TTM. I have 4 5 gallon buckets, 10 new air stones, 4 heaters, and a lot of air line tubing. I have my empourer and my tang (both only 2 inches) I want to run them at the same time. My question is can the 2 buckets be right next to eachother or no because I was wondering if I could use the same air pump?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I just realized I have all the materials for TTM. I have 4 5 gallon buckets, 10 new air stones, 4 heaters, and a lot of air line tubing. I have my empourer and my tang (both only 2 inches) I want to run them at the same time. My question is can the 2 buckets be right next to eachother or no because I was wondering if I could use the same air pump?
I wouldn’t because bubbles popping at the surface tend to splash tiny water droplets which could carry the parasite into the surrounding area. It would be safer to keep them separated.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back