Emperors of R2R (pomacanthus imperator)

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s everyone’s favorite fish doing?
Anyone else with an emperor, share your photos...

@watdachuck
BoTom updates?
@Terry Le
Emp updates?
@Shufflepig
Peter the Great photos?
@Seame
Maze pics?
@bdupuy
How’s Bruce?
@GOSKN5
Emperor updates?
Here he is still the boss. He grunted everyone in the tank run for their hide spaces
IMG_0199 (1).jpg

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male on the left is about 10" and have had him 10 years this November. Grew him from a small 2" juvi.
Female on the right about 6-7" and had her for a little over 3 years. Grew her from a tiny juvi. They have been together about 2.5 years. Main foods are Hikari mysis, Nori, Spectrum and Hikari pellets and Omega one flakes.

Emperor pair.jpg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male on the left is about 10" and have had him 10 years this November. Grew him from a small 2" juvi.
Female on the right about 6-7" and had her for a little over 3 years. Grew her from a tiny juvi. They have been together about 2.5 years. Main foods are Hikari mysis, Nori, Spectrum and Hikari pellets and Omega one flakes.

Emperor pair.jpg
How big is your tank?
Have they always gotten along?

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 220. They've always gotten along. I added her about 2 1/2 years ago when just a small Juvi. He was around 9" at the time.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. say hello to mezz-mo. bought in oct of 18 and was about the size of a half-dollar, he is now 20 months old. a good story may be helpful to others he lives in my 150.

20181026_161745.jpg

mezz mo has been a great fish. when we first got him we were warned about him. reef safe with caution. upon entering the tank he was a friendly addition, did not mess with anyone, we watched and he seemed uninterested in our soft and hard corals. so thumbs up and grow little fellow.

He is the first Emporer we have owned--that being said - a few months go by and we notice him avoiding everyone in the tank, both larger and smaller fish. seemed odd for a fish that is supposed to rule the roost. we also noticed he was changing, but it looked like fading to me, and he was eating well, again, first-time Emporer owner, wife loves the fish, so let the research being. we just thought it was the color change process.

2.jpg

we were confused by the number of things that we were, told and read, about fading colors and shyness, including prepare for death, he was diagnosed with every fish disease that was known. I believe I have a thread on this point his life, here in the reef to the reef. if your fish looks like mine in this pic, might be worth checking out.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/emperor-angel-sick-if-so-what-is-it.674045/

Overall the help and support were great. in the end, I just pulled him out and QT him using API general cure and some others. within a few days he was passing what I could only describe as an intestinal parasite and man was it a big one. not sure where it came from, the food i make is high end.

20200104_172035.jpg

I was feeding all my fish a home blend of the following:
Lrs reef frenzy, Lrs fish frenzy, Mysis shrimp, Diced up shrimp, Sfb angel cubes
I melted it all and then add Brightwell vitamin c to the mix, then refreeze. I feed the DT two cubes of that mix, an entire sheet of lrs brand seaweed, and a dash of new life spectrum marine pellets thru out the day.

After he pasted this approx 12" long worm (yes I pulled it out and measured once passed) i switch the food mix to the following
diced then rinsed raw shrimp, squid, krill, added minced garlic, seachem vitality, lrs seaweed, and northfin brand marine pellets and a pack (OR 2) of G.C. I wanted to ensure that the other fish were treated for internal parasites just in case.

Im happy to report he pulled thru and came back strong, took a few weeks once back in the DT. but today he is running the tank at 20 months old and the shyness has been replaced with bullishness and is the pride of the English navy.

20200723_085923.jpg

just the other day I heard grunting for the first time coming from the tank not sure where it was coming from. I would look and listen and never could catch the owner of the grunt but yesterday as I was placing frags in the tank and moving rocks he let loose and would not stop grunting all day even when I was done he was still grunting at everyone. Mezz has not really, to this day been seen eating any corals still. I can only assume its because I keep them all good feed. I have seen him nip but not eat, that nip was to a neon green trump but just once, that coral is still alive and well, But if he does start chowing down the hard core, I and the wife have decided to just let them eat away and we will go to a FOWLR tank because she wants a puffer and we are realizing that we may be more ocean fish people, rather than coral people. that its, for the most part, he's a great fish and I can not wait to see those full-blown adult colors. 20200723_085923.jpg 20200723_085938.jpg

I am very impressed and happy for you that you were somehow able to catch the fish and then successfully treat it. I love my Emporer and would/will be very upset should something happen to it. Best fish I’ve ever had in 20 years. Still in transition stages. Had for almost 2 years. Mine has more yellow than this pic shows. I’ve renamed him Boss Hogg.
F13E9C4B-6B37-45FD-B172-CCA655725493.jpeg

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male getting cleaned. Not as good a picture of Wen's but it's hard get them to stay still. Great pic Wen.

That cleaner prefers small Hikari mysis or Omega One flake ( small pieces).

Emperor and cleaner.png

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS is having a sale this weekend.

I've got liverock that's essentially a carpet of the ugliest brown majano.

No photo right now; but I brought home the 3.5" or so juvie emperor they had this evening.

I hadn't planned on an imperator, even though they're one of my favorite angels, because I'm worried my tank (225 gallon) will start to feel small ... but here we are. Wish us luck!

~Bruce

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looked about 3.5" in the LFS' tank ... but closer to 2.5 - 3" in my 75gallon QT. She's pretty shy, so I haven't tried to disturb her for photos. Grabbed one though, please pardon the salty glass!
IMG_2137.JPG

She's already got that graceful, casual way of moving that makes emperor angels so ... well ... imperial. Fingers crossed for getting her through QT and into the display!

~B.

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the small particles floating around. I added a second cross flow and it stirred it up.

See the little emperor on the bottom left? They've accepted it and I will keep a close eye on it to see how it goes.

emperors 2.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back