Empire fish

Shad67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new empire fish has a white spot on it. It is currently in quarantine and has had this spot for several weeks. Currently using rally in the tank and fish has been dipped twice in hydroplex. Still has white spot. The spot feels hard to the touch. Does anyone know what this is? Love the fish it is eating well and greats you every time you come to the tank.

12DF4D6B-1C21-4988-8584-0B11ACCD0975.jpeg D601F1F1-B93F-420E-BABE-0A5571AC2404.jpeg 4927B644-9AFC-4937-985A-201A95DB4D2B.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My new empire fish has a white spot on it. It is currently in quarantine and has had this spot for several weeks. Currently using rally in the tank and fish has been dipped twice in hydroplex. Still has white spot. The spot feels hard to the touch. Does anyone know what this is? Love the fish it is eating well and greats you every time you come to the tank.

12DF4D6B-1C21-4988-8584-0B11ACCD0975.jpeg D601F1F1-B93F-420E-BABE-0A5571AC2404.jpeg 4927B644-9AFC-4937-985A-201A95DB4D2B.jpeg
Hydroplex is virtually useless and effective somewhat when used as a dip. Rally will work but takes longer.
In the future avoid use of rock in quarantine which will absorb/reduce medications used.
This is Bacterial likely started as a small injury and got infected and best treatment will be either seachem kanaplex or Maracyn two. It is important to maintain good water quality with a reliable test kit and add aeration with air stone
Fish is Emperor angel but I got it lol

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Emperor Angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator). I love the name! :) I've raised 4 from juvenile to adulthood over the years in the hobby.

Could this be Lymphocystis? Quite often it appears on the fins, though. Many fishes are carriers of the Lymphocystivirus or Lymphocystis disease virus (LCDV). If you think it might be this then check/remove stressors. Check water quality. Be sure fish isn't being bothered/upset with other fishes, and feed the best foods you can provide. I'd suggest using the supplements for an ill fish in the Fish Nutrition post.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This looks like Lymphocystis, and this species is highly prone to that, but the location is atypical - most of those lesions are seen on the trailing fin edges. Still, it is unlikely to be any other common issue.

No treatment is needed for this, indeed, no treatment will help. It may spread to additional lesions, but these all will fade in 4 to 8 weeks despite any and all treatments.

Now, since I’m not 100% certain of the diagnosis, you need to each the fish closely and update us if any new symptoms develop.
Jay

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was going to suggest lymphocystis as well, and so add that to the pile. It is a viral infection that causes this lesion, sort of like how the human papilloma virus can cause warts, but these typically resolve without issue. But not at all related to HPV.

Of interest I have only seen in in shops or in QT on my own fish, so likely stress related. Feed well, and keep stress down. So not touching it to find out how hard or soft is will help with the stress (smile)

Gorgeous fish by the way

OP
OP
S

Shad67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ever for your input. The spot has gone away and fish is doing great. It took about four weeks for it to go away. I kept the fish in quarantine for another week just to make sure it was doing good.
was going to suggest lymphocystis as well, and so add that to the pile. It is a viral infection that causes this lesion, sort of like how the human papilloma virus can cause warts, but these typically resolve without issue. But not at all related to HPV.

Of interest I have only seen in in shops or in QT on my own fish, so likely stress related. Feed well, and keep stress down. So not touching it to find out how hard or soft is will help with the stress (smile)

Gorgeous fish by the way

Gorgeous fish by the way

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 148 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 188 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.7%
Back