Empty Snail/Crab Shells

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

What is the general rule concerning empty shells in your tank? Over the years, my tank has had quite a few snails and crabs meet their demise. I don't know why, but for some reason they all seem to accumulate in the back corner. (I have a 32 gallon BioCube). There are probably 20-25 shells of different sizes and varieties all piled up in the back right corner and there are others scattered all around as well. I still have plenty of snails and crabs alive to take care of CUC duties. I was just wondering if it is best practices to leave them in there or to remove them? I know that I should keep a few empty ones for when crabs need to move into a new shell for growth, but I have a LOT of empties.

Thoughts?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

What is the general rule concerning empty shells in your tank? Over the years, my tank has had quite a few snails and crabs meet their demise. I don't know why, but for some reason they all seem to accumulate in the back corner. (I have a 32 gallon BioCube). There are probably 20-25 shells of different sizes and varieties all piled up in the back right corner and there are others scattered all around as well. I still have plenty of snails and crabs alive to take care of CUC duties. I was just wondering if it is best practices to leave them in there or to remove them? I know that I should keep a few empty ones for when crabs need to move into a new shell for growth, but I have a LOT of empties.

Thoughts?
I would remove most, certainly the ones that are too small for use, to minimize detritus traps in your tank.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to switch them out. I bought a big bag of shells at hobby lobby and scrubbed them with saltwater and then I rotate the shells underwater to get the air out and the crabs love it. Whenever there’s new shells they’re all checking them out. I like to change them every few weeks. It also discourages them from killing crabs

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is littered with them as well. I leave them for the hermits to try on. I'll often toss them about, just to get any detritus out. Over time I also find they gradually start to disintegrate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back